Hey there everyone,
I'm having a problem with my computer recently where it crashes when running certain applications and websites. The computer crashes, just completely shuts down, when running Itunes, Windows Media Player, any game, and also when on Youtube, Justin.TV, watching videos on ESPN.com. I'm using Windows Vista Service Pack 2. It crashes even if one of those applications or websites is being viewed. I haven't had the problem before, it started within the last week. Any ideas what is causing this, and how would this be fixed?
Thank You!
The first thing I would try is a System Restore to before the problem started happening, see if that fixes it. If yes, then change your Windows Update settings to Notify but not install then watch what updates are installed the next time. It could be that one of them is causing the problem.
Go to Windows Update in Control Panel. In the left pane, click Change settings, and then Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.
While you may have some software problem going on, I also notice that you list graphically intense activities associate with your "crashes".
I'd recommend that you download and install SpeedFan, to get an idea of component temperatures.
Also, using careful electrical and static precautions, open up the case to inspect for dust/debris clogs, assure that Fans are running vigorously, and inspect for bulging or leaking capacitors.
Particularly give your attention to your graphics adapter.
I've also noticed that this unexpected shut down only occurs on two of the users on the account
In that case a quick workaround may be to set up a new user account and transfer one of the "crashing" accounts data over to it…
If this works OK, then do the other "crashing" account the same way
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI