This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Static-zapped Thumb Drive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

It's me again.

I have new new problem.

After getting out of the car, I got zapped by static. My 32 GB thumb drive was in my breast pocket at the time.

Upon getting my luggage into the hotel room, I got out my laptop, and tried to get some files off of my drive…

"Unknown USB Device"… :pullhair:

So, my question is this:

Is there a way to re-initialize this RetailPlus+ 32 GB thumb drive?

I'd really like to at least save my data from it, even if I can't resurrect the drive itself.

Please help!


TLoATDaE,
Post re-posted here, because I dropped it in the wrong place the first time… :smack:
Have a look in your computer's Device Manager. Any yellow or red warnings related to USB Device? You may benefit from removing the USB Drivers and rebooting to allow windows to find new hardware and install drivers for new hardware. I'm referring to the USB ports on your computer. Then go to MS Updates and allow any important updates. Not updates for hardware, just Windows system updates. Do the above without plugging in the USB external HD.
No red or yellow flags, simply "Unknown device" in the USB list. MS Updates had no results. BTW, it's a thumb drive. Awaiting further instructions
Since this is the 6th day of silence, I thought I'd see if I can entice a response… Is there a software utility that might allow me to reinitialize the thumb drive, so I can at least extract my files from it? Something 'brute force'? Just curious TLoATDaE Awaiting further instructions

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI