This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

just wondering what it is?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

My ISP asked me to get something, and I'm not sure what it means. Just wondering if someone would enlighten me about this. I think it was called "static" something, and it had to do with my "IP address". I know that's not much to go on, but I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me what this is. Do I need it or is it just something that they want money for? Thanks for all your help in everything you all do.
you mean a static ip address. one that dosnt change. like if you where running a server and needed the same ip address to connect to. its intresting that they (isp) would make this suggestion to you. most likely you dont need. it.
Ok, I know this is going to show just how little I know, but what exactly are you talking about. My address changes everytime? I had no idea. Under what circumstance would I need it to stay the same then? Sorry, but I didn't know that my address even changed, so I had no idea that I would need it not to. Thanks again.
hi again shelljj, most likely your ip address dosnt change unless your isp said you have a static ip. a static ip is usually more expensive than a dynamic service. you are probably 'leased" a ip. my ip which isnt static, but leased, has only changed once in 7 years.