This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows cannot find rundll32.exe

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was recently having problems with this computer

Windows won't load after restarting

and was able to get it fixed at a repair place where they had to reinstall Windows. Luckily, all my important files were able to be restored too.

The past few days I've been trying to get the computer back to its previous state: I've been redownloading Windows updates, restoring computer and browser settings, etc.

I think it's possible that I still haven't restored all the important files correctly - when I received the computer back, they said that some files would have a different file name, a tilde and a bunch of random letters at the end, but that deleting the extra portion of the filename should restore the file. It didn't work for all of them, some Windows files I had to redownload from the microsoft website and some programs (like anti-spyware programs) I had to reinstall.

Somewhere along the way, I lost the ability to get into Control Panel. When I click on any of the options, I get this message:

Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
Looks like yuo don't have an XP CD, right? Have you looked to see if the file is actually there or not? Try the following:

First, you need to show hidden files and folders:
  • Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
  • Select "Show hidden files and folders"
  • Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
  • Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)
Now open a Command Prompt (Click Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter).
Enter cd \ (that's cd and a back slash)
Enter dir rundll32.exe /s

On my computer (XP Pro + SP3) I get the following:
C:\>dir \WINDOWS\rundll32.exe /s
 Volume in drive C is HP_C
 Volume Serial Number is 4816-889C

 Directory of C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$

08/04/2004  08:00 AM			33,280 rundll32.exe
			   1 File(s)		 33,280 bytes

 Directory of C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

04/14/2008  05:42 AM			33,280 rundll32.exe
			   1 File(s)		 33,280 bytes

 Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

04/14/2008  05:42 AM			33,280 rundll32.exe
			   1 File(s)		 33,280 bytes
If you DO NOT have the file in C:\WINDOWS\system32 you can copy it there from one of the other locations on your hard drive.

Another thing you can do is backup all your important data then take it back to the repair shop and have them do a Clean Install, not a Repair Install which is what it sounds like they did. By Repair Install, I mean they installed over the existing XP on the hard drive, leaving all your stuff intact. This can fix many problems but can also cause some significant problems on occasion.

A Clean Install is where the hard drive is formatted then XP is installed, basically putting your system back to the way it was when you bought it. This should be a last resort though, since it will take quite a while to get everything reinstalled. It would be a good opportunity though to install SP3 instead of downloading and install 90+ Windows Updates.
Color me stupid! You said you couldn't get into Control Panel then I turned right around and told you to go into Control Panel to get to Folder Options.

It sounds like the default actions for folders and files has been messed up. Try this:
  • Go to Start then Run, type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll and press Enter or click OK
  • See if that fixes the problem. If not do the following:
  • Start Registry Editor (Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter or click OK
  • Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
    If this problem occurs with drives:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
  • Click Modify on the Edit menu.
  • Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
  • Quit Registry Editor.
Above taken from: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Once you have that straightened out, try the directions in my previous post.
OK, I did the first step, but it didn't fix the problem. I'm not sure how to know if the problem is occuring with the folders or the drives but both of them already had "none" in the Value data box. Still can't access Folder Options. :(
Okay, sorry that didn't help. I have one more idea. Go to the Doug Knox web site and download the

CPL File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for CPL files)

Instructions are at the top of the page. See if that helps.

Also, use Search to see if you can find all instances of rundll32.exe.

Click on Start then Search, select For files and folders.
Click on All files and folders
Enter rundll32.exe in the top search box.
Click on More advanced options and check
  • Search system folders
  • Search hidden files and folders
  • Search subfolders
Click the Searchbutton.

If it's not in C:\Windows\system32 then copy it there from one of the other locations it shows up in.
I'm not really sure if I'm following the instructions correctly. It says, "Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it." I just double-clicked on the unzipped file and then it asks "are you sure you want to add the information to the registry?" I clicked yes and I assume that is what it means by extract to the hard disk. Then the instructions say "REG files can be viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for the file extension indicated." I don't know if I'm supposed to do anything for that or if that just shows what settings that file makes. When I searched for the rundll32.exe it finds it in C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ when I try to copy it to system32, I get this message: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now" EDIT: Ok, the first thing must have worked! I can access Control Panel now! So, is there anything else I should do next or is it all fixed?
Good to hear you can get to Control Panel now. What about the entries in it? Can you open Folder Options for instance? If so then I'd say you're in good shape.

As for "Files that are required for Windows to run properly …", that is normal, It's called Windows File Protection and is doing it's job by making sure required Operating System files are not replaced by malicious or down level files. That also means that rundll32.exe is in system32 where it's supposed to be.

Do some testing and let us know how things are going.
I can get into Folder Options now. What other testing should I try? Are there tests that would scan the computer to see if anything else needs fixing? What part of the forums should I go to for help with that? For example, I ran PC Pitstop but I'm unsure of how to fix some of the things it recommends.
You can post a link to a PCPitStop Tech Express run here if you want and we'll take a look at it, but before you do that, try using your computer for a few days and see if you notice any problems. If not, don't fix what's not broken!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI