Someday I'll maybe get to use this version of Windows, it's been upgraded twice now from Windows 7, and I'm still in a quandary. The first time I had it installed on 2 of my hard drives, and was given the status of Administrator, but the account was set so that I couldn't actually do anything with the computer. Couldn't install/uninstall programmes, couldn't delete most things (that shouldn't still have been there), generally was denied access to my own computer. On top of that they very kindly moved files around from one drive to another, so when I tried to open the said files, no deal, because they had been moved or deleted, if you please, and where not any longer at that location.
Take two: If anything, a simplified, bare bones, version. Within weeks, after turning the pc yesterday morning I was greeted with this bosd with the topic title on the screen. I went through all the options offered in troubleshooting, but to to no avail. For whatever reason, in command prompt, where it would usually show c:\ as the windows drive, (and I'm pretty sure that's where mine is), mine is reading as x:\windows\system32! Not sure what to do with that. I also got into system restore once, didn't
work, but it did throw up this code: 0x800703F1 config registry database is corrupt. I have had a computer since Windows97 and have always installed whatever edition came along myself, but it was taken out of my hands this time round. I'm thinking though I might invest in a new hard drive and start from scratch. Thanks for reading, and in advance for any help offered.
hedley
Exactly what version of Windows do you have now? If Windows 10, is it Home or Pro?
You say it's a simplified, bare bones version. What does that mean?
Who is doing the installs for you?
x:\windows is usually the address of the USB flash drive when you are installing Windows 10. Are you sure you not booting from the flash drive accidentally? Is BIOS set to boot from USB first perhaps instead of your hard drive?
Thanks for the reply. It is Windows 10 Pro, in both cases installed by bona fide computer companies. The first installation was as seen on the web with the blue background when on the desktop, in file manager etc. I have 4 internal hard drives in total, and had always kept windows on a drive of its own. I assumed the upgrade would have been put on the same drive, but no, moved to my smallest drive, along with a lot of other files from other drives until the drive was full.
As well as that, I was put on as administrator with restricted access, which wasn't of any use at all. The files that had been moved couldn't be accessed because it said they didn't exist there anymore, and then I discovered I had two windows installations, which wasn't working.
I asked the second firm to install the 21H1 upgrade, because I don't particularly want windows 11 yet. What I got was a white background with File Explorer down the left-hand side. This was only 2 weeks ago, so I really hadn't got around to sorting through what is, or isn't still there, and this happened on Saturday morning when I switched on. Your explanation of the x instead c helps though, as I was able to get into the bios and bring up the boot options.
There was a UEFI option there, unless that has to do with the installation, but it's not mine, and as for my boot drive, I know which one it is, but at the minute it's proving rather elusive!
Thank you again for picking up, hedley
So you have 4 hard drives in the computer.
What I would do is disconnect the three drives you do not want to install Windows 10 to, leaving just the drive you want to install to connected.
Download the latest Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 here: Download Windows 10.
Insert a USB flash drive of at least 8GB then click on the button to download the Media Creation Tool then run it.
Expand each of the areas below it to understand how to use the flash drive to install Windows 10.
I can point you to detailed instructions if you need them.
You would reconnect the 3 drives you disconnected after you completed the install.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI