This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Advice for firewall

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am currently using sygate on win XP home. I wanted some help on this and have found that there is very little support for this product now so looking to change. Plan is to uninstall Sygate and then install comodo, free version (I think its called) Does this make sense to get a more supported firewall? To date I have to say I have been happy with Sygate. Is comosdo a reasonable choice or should I go for something else, I am not too technical so looking for user friendly. thanks
Comodo Internet Security suite (free) is good. I use it on my Dell XP Pro laptop. I'm using Avira and an older Kerio firewall on my Web Server. I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 box and have been happy with it so far. It has received good ratings. Your PC must run genuine Windows to install Microsoft Security Essentials. It;s good for XP, Vista and Windows 7, not sure about Win 2000.
Thanks for reply, I will proabably go with comodo. Just one aother thing I am currently using the free Avira for antivirus, is there any way to get rid of the pop-up to buy the advanced version? thanks
Yes …. details follow (long)

Windows 2000:
  • Click Start, and then click Run
  • In the Open box, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK
  • Expand User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then expand System
  • In the right pane, double-click Don't run specified Windows applications
  • Click Enabled, and then click Show
  • Click Add, and then type the executable file name of the program (avnotify.exe) that you want to restrict users from running.
  • Click OK, click OK, and then click OK (NOTE: If domain-level policy settings are defined, they may override this local policy setting.)
  • Quit Group Policy Object Editor
  • Restart the computer
Windows 2000/XP Home
  • Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after you restart the computer)
  • Log in using the Administrator account
  • Go to C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
  • Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security-> advanced
  • Under the Permissions tab click on SYSTEM under Permission entries:
  • Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> ok ->apply-> yes -> ok-> ok
  • Reboot the computer into Normal Mode (start-> shutdown-> restart)
Windows XP Pro & Vista Business/Ultimate/Enterprise
  • Start-> Control Panel
  • Administrative tools-> Local security policy
  • Expand Software Restriction Policy, right click on Additional Rules and select New path rule
  • Click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\ and double-click avnotify.exe
  • Set the security level to Disallowed-> apply-> ok
Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Go to C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
  • Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security->
  • Under the group or username SYSTEM click edit
  • Put a checkmark under the DENY column for "read and execute"

Above from here: http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm
Ztruker, I tried the above but cannot find the exe file. I have googled for more info but they all give the above or similar instruction. I also tried a search on the PC and still no joy. The nearest I can find is AVnotify.exe-05C5A631.pf, and thats in the windows/prefetch file. And I cant open a pf file.
You need to setup you system show it shows hidden files and extensions.

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

This one is up to you. I don't like having anything hidden.
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)

Click Apply and OK

Did you boot to Safe Mode and login as Administrator as the instructions say? The file will be here:

C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe


You will need to show hidden files with Administrator too.
I had already gone into folder options to check on that, but I will try again in case I missed anything. I also tried looking for avnotify.exe under the normal log in name and it did appear when I did a search (but not when I done this under administrator) but I cclicked on it and it wouldnt open. Yes I did in safe mode for both normal and administrator log in. I maybe (although I think not the case) didnt uncheck the hidden stuff under administrator. One other point but may not be valid…`AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic`…is not a folder I have, it just states Avira, and when I open it ithas all the components. I keep thinking the programme cant run without the exe so it must be there :-( Its is late here now (uk) so will get back on the case tomorrow and report back. in the meantime thanks for your help.
I know avnotify.exe is there, in the folder under C:\Program Files\Avira. I do this several times a day so I'm sure it's there and this method works.
Ok I got it now, it would appear that I never unchecked hidden ext under the administrator. Hopefully now sorted. Thanks for your time and help on this. scudo

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI