This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

EMC Retrospect Express backup software on OneTouch

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have used a Maxtor OneTouch backup drive for years, but I'm not sure what I am doing. I have the drive hooked up and when I hit the button, my pc displays an EMC Retrospect Express HD 1.1 window as it always has. I deleted a bunch of backup files on the MAXTOR to clean it up and I have only left one backup on it. If I click on My Computer, it shows that my C: is 56gb with 28gb free space. And my E: (MAXTOR) is 93.3gb with 84.9gb free space. So lots of room to store backups! If I click Setup > Comprehensive Backup (Recommended) > Next > choose My entire computer > Select the disc to store your backup(choose Local Disk (E:)) > Next > Select the days (choose any day and time) > Finish, it says Cannot save setup, check the selected drive to make sure there is enough free space > OK. It goes back to the Welcome page and shows that the is 1 restore point available. Automatic Backup is Off. If I click Back up Now, a Disk is not available, Cannot start the operation because the disk to which files are being copied is not available. OK If I hover the mouse over the Retrospect Express HD icon in the task bar, it says: Retrospect Express HD will back up all files on my computer… But if I right click the icon and choose Back up now, a window says Disk is not available. Cannot start the operation because the disk to which files are being copied is not available. Huh? Same thing if I open it up and click Back up now. So I can't do any new backups. I need some help! Any ideas or knowledge? I posted this same info on the Dantz Forums site for EMC Retrospect and haven't gotten any responses.
Yes, and when I choose E: for Select the disk to store your backups, it says All Available under Use For Backup and then Cannot save setup. Check the selected drive for enough free space.
Sorry Jeff,

Though I do have a couple of Maxtor One Touch external hard drives, I've never used their software.
From what you post, it seems that it used to work, but no longer works after you deleted selected backup files.


Here's an option from our of left-field…

Nov27-Nov29, Paragon is offering their drive image backup software - FREE
That's a pretty good price for a pretty good utility.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/
Hi. Thanks for the tip. I set up a 9.2 GB Duplicate backup of pictures, movies, music, Office Docs and all other files on Retrospect Express instead of a Comprehensive backup and it ran it. Automatic backup is ON but I don't find where it might let me choose a time and day for automatic backup. If the automatic backup is on, when does it do this? So I went onto E: and deleted the old Comprehensive backup copy and I'll start over fresh. Also, how do I set Retrospect to put the icon down in the lower right? (called Taskbar?)

Also, how do I set Retrospect to put the icon down in the lower right? (called Taskbar?)


I sure don't know where Retrospect lists that feature.

Some utilities have a checkmark/tick in their Options or Properties to allow:

Place icon in Notification area.
or
Place icon in Taskbar.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI