Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

LAN or HIGH Speed Internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mistilee

mistilee

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

i recently became a victim of "security tool" this past weekend, and everyone i got on the phone told me to reformat it completely. rather than shell out the dough for someone else to do it i did it myself, but i cannot connect to internet. i don't know how to fix it, and i have a bunch of assignments due this up coming monday. please help. :pullhair:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

Hi mistilee, welcome to WhatTheTech.

How did you reformat and reinstall your system (is it XP Home or Pro or Vista)? Did you get any CD discs with your computer? If not, what is the make and model number? You can get the necessary drivers from the manufacturers web site.

If you look at Device Manager (Click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter) you will see what devices need a driver installed by see which ones have a yellow mark by them.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 mistilee

mistilee

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

windows xp, have all but driver disk, downloaded drivers from dell(manufacturer) already, but my LAN /network cable is unplugged. i actually never unplugged anything so it should all be the same, but it's not. i think maybe i did it in wrong order. i went to device manager, no yellow marks....thank you...

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

What Dell model? I'd like to check to see what you downloaded. I'd recommend uninstalling the LAN device from Device Manager (right click / Uninstall), then reboot and let XP rediscover it and reload the driver, see if that helps..

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 mistilee

mistilee

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

my service tag is CMN6071, I DOWNLOADED EVERYTHING THAT WAS RECOMMENDED. file names in the download file under "my documents" are as follows... R114582 D3000A03(Flash Bios upgrade-A03) R78727(ITEL® pRO/100 VE NETWORK CONECCTION DRIVER VERSION AOO) R92578(Application: Dell Driver Reset Tool version A01) R106458(INTEL 82865G gRAPHICS cONTROL...dRIVER VERSION A08 ,R121089(SYSTEM UTILITIES: DELL DESKTOP SYSTEM SOFTWARE UTILITY VERSION A06 ,CZ127700(DELL 32 BIT DIAGNOSTICS GRAPHICS) ,R58201(CHIP SET: INTEL CHIPSET SOFTWARE INSTALLATION UTILITY DRIVER VERSION A13) ,R91081(Network Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network...Diagnostics utility version :A01) ,R94481( Audio Analog devices ADI 198x integr....Driver version A22 R114582 ,WINXP-HOTFIX PACKAGE i put as much info as i could so u can make sure i got the right ones, thank you so much for your help....

#6 mistilee

mistilee

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:22 PM

i a specific disk contacted my service provider about the issue and they told me i need a disk from them in order for my connection to work, if i have any problems after monday i will let you know...thank you! :thumbup: :yeah:

#7 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

Mistilee, Looks like you are getting things straightened out. Good Work. Be "cautious" about using an ISP supplied CD for configuration of your internet connection. Many/Most such disks come bundled with extra software that you may not want, and may do better without. ISP Phone Support should be able to walk you through a manual configuration of Internet Connection in less than 15 minutes. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#8 mistilee

mistilee

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

yes thank you... i also should consult about my dads laptop. he bought it from a friend and i managed to get the internet to come up on it(this is how i have been able to contact this forumn), but everytime we turn it on, it says "application failed to launch" . And there is the name of some funky driver(ARRIS) i will have to post at a later time, so i can give you the correct name. There are no problems with connecting, i just want to make that stop coming up on the screen, or install whatever needs to be installed.

#9 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

i will have to post at a later time

Good plan.
Would be appropriate to start a fresh New Topic for that separate issue.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.