This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

USB Mouse and Analog Keyboard freezes

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there,

Recently, my USB mouse and analog keyboard have started to freeze from time to time, thus causing the whole computer to be unusable and I'd have to force-restart it. Upon following the steps to check if malware was the cause using HJT (topic link), I found nothing infectious. Please advise, thanks.

Jermyn

Added link to Malware Topic
http://forums.whatthetech.com/USB_Mouse_An…es_t108293.html
Hello DarkArcher… What leads you to believe that the mouse and keyboard are the problem? More likely the system is just completely freezing up. Unless you can tell me why you have pointed at the mouse and keyboard rather than just a general freeze, I am going to assume it is the entire computer freezing up. There are certainly many, many reasons a computer would freeze. But, this type of freeze can almost always be attributed to a hardware problem. That could include clogged heatsinks and fans, bad connections, leaking capacitors, failing components, etc. Some general maintenance on your computer, verifying fans are spinning and heatsinks are clean and that everything is plugged in securely could solve your problem.
Hi, now that you mention it yea, it's actually the whole computer that freezes. I understand that it could be caused by a whole host of hardware problems. I guess I can't really do much about it then. Thanks for your enlightenment, I appreciate your reply. =) Jermyn

I understand that it could be caused by a whole host of hardware problems. I guess I can't really do much about it then.


Hi DarkArcher,

Appleoddity didn't say your machine's problems were fatal, he merely pointed out that the problems are most likely related to Hardware faults.

In additional to Appleoddity's excellent instructions above, you might discover and be able repair corrupted device drivers, failing but repairable/replaceable Hard Drive bad-sectors, failing but replaceable RAM memory, failing but replaceable graphics adapter, etc.

I am not saying that "all" of those Hardware features are faulty or require replacement.
Any one or combination could cause the symptoms your machine is experiencing.

Get a good overview of your machine's software and hardware functioning by running the PCPitstop Full Tests
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Then post a link to your results back here into this Thread.

Appleoddity and others of our Techs may have useful recommendations, once they have more complete information.
Or additional testing may be indicated to assist you in locating the fault and specifying a fix.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI