Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

HDD Spin Up Down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sleven

Sleven

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

I'm posting here because I'm not sure which forum this question should be in. I'm running XP and want to know how to make the HDD spin all the time. It spins up and down constantly. I can hear it spin down and then almost immediately spin up again. Can some one please help?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:32 PM

I'm posting here because I'm not sure which forum this question should be in.

I'm running XP and want to know how to make the HDD spin all the time. It spins up and down constantly. I can hear it spin down and then almost immediately spin up again. Can some one please help?

it will spin for so long, and then if no read requests, it will spin-down.

How much RAM do you have ?

ctrl-alt-del and open the Task Manager, click the -performance- tab

what is total commit charge =

what is PFusage =

what is Total Physical Memory =

Tallon41

#3 Sleven

Sleven

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

How much RAM do you have ? 1.37 GB ---------------- Right after a reboot: what is total commit charge = 308244 what is PFusage = 298 MB what is Total Physical Memory = 1439304 ------------------ After connecting to the internet while running AOL browser and IE browser (I don't like AOL but have to use it to connect) what is total commit charge = 382196 what is PFusage = 373 MB what is Total Physical Memory = same as above ----------------------- Last year I was having a similar problem on a different machine. I came across a (XP trick/tip) that allowed me to change a single registry value that caused the HDD to spin all the time. This helped a great deal, but I can not remember where I read it and now I can not find any info on how to do this. I sent hours googling different phrases such as: HDD spin, Spinup, Spindown, Controling Spin on HDDs, etc... I found many articles saying it can be done, but none said how to do it.

#4 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

Last year I was having a similar problem on a different machine. I came across a (XP trick/tip) that allowed me to change a single registry value that caused the HDD to spin all the time. This helped a great deal, but I can not remember where I read it and now I can not find any info on how to do this. I sent hours googling different phrases such as: HDD spin, Spinup, Spindown, Controling Spin on HDDs, etc... I found many articles saying it can be done, but none said how to do it.

8^/ did you go into Power management and set the hard drives to 'never' turn off ?

Tallon41

#5 Sleven

Sleven

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:35 AM

No. We have XP Home on this machine, and I think that option is only available in XP Pro. I saw that you could do that with XP Pro from a couple different sites. I'm still looking for the registry location...

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

Hi Steven, Follow Tallon41's advice and set the hard disc to never turn off...etc. It is to be found in XP Home Edition... Have a look in: Start Control Panel Power options and see how you go regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 Sleven

Sleven

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

Thanks Paws and Tallon. Yes the option is in the Home Edition and was already set to the "Never" shut off option. The HDD still spins up and down like a yo-yo. I'm looking for the Registry setting that causes the HDD to never spin down. Sorry I wasted your time.

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

Hi
Have a look as this registry fix.
http://www.buzzle.co...are-tweaks.html
but before you even think of firing up regedit...take a back up of your complete registry, and keep it somewhere safe and accessible.
Erunt is good
http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#9 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:59 PM

http://www.buzzle.co...are-tweaks.html

LOL Tip 6 is wrong....

and the hard drive spin down is the very SAME THING we recommended above.

Tallon41

#10 Sleven

Sleven

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:43 AM

Thank you both for trying to help, I really do appreciate it. Had I known last year this one was so hard to find, I would have had it tattooed on my arm, lol.