Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jjpeters

jjpeters

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

:pullhair: In June, my Dell Inpiron E1505 had a bad system file and I contacted Dell. They reinstalled windows in sep area got me back up and running and then restored my laptop to factory delivered state. (not sure if they used pc restore). I was very careful about what I installed after that. Everything was working fine. In Sept, my McAfee expired and I installed Computer Associates Security Center (without uninstalling McAfee :( ) From there I started getting this Generic Host error message, among other weird things. This message appears quite frequently as I'm working. I wasn't aware of PC Restore and System restore. I did not have a system restore point to revert to for some reason so I couldn't undo my error. I tried PC Restore but the ctrl f11 doesn't work. I contacted CA. They pointed me to a microsoft fix. However, that was for XP sp2 and I have XP sp3 so it wouldn't load. I have a screen print file attached. I cannot open multiple tabs on a consistent basis. My printer software tries to reinstall itself so I uninstalled my printer and reinstalled it. However, I can't get the wireless feature to work so I'm using a USB cable now to print. I cannot access GMAIL from this laptop unless I choose the option for slower connections but then I don't have all the functionality. Please help! I am frustrated and very behind in my business because of not being productive!!! I was thinking of reinstalling windows but am concerned since I've never done before. Thanks so much for any assistance!

Attached Files

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

Hi jjpeters, welcome to WTT.

Download the latest version of CA Security Center.

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Center and uninstall the current copy of CA Security Center. Reboot as needed.
Next, uninstall McAfee. Follow the directions here: http://service.mcafe...spx?id=TS100507

Reboot then install the latest version of CA Security Center.

See if that resolves your problem.

Note: DO NOT connect to the internet while your anti-virus is uninstalled.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown