Something my son downloaded last night (and he claims it was only a picture and I found nothing else in the history) is creating havoc on my laptop. A file constantly replicates to the point where I've got nearly 1500 of them that I can't get rid of. I've tried all the 8 steps in the techspot forum – avg/cccleaner/malwarebytes, etc., and nothing has worked. All files bear a name with 30+characters of seemingly random numbers and letters with a .rar extension. Type of file just says file, and range in size from 8 to 9kb.
Please, help. Save my son's life.
In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
Sections
IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
Show All (don't miss this one)
Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in your next reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries