Now that I have been operating windows 7 for a number of weeks I have to concede that it is a great OS and very stable. My first attempts at installing it were, as reported, a disaster but once those problems were overcome I began to settle down to using W7 and I am delighted. I am now thinking of purchasing another and installing it on the goodlady's laptop. She has Vista which is not a patch on W7 especially as it keeps freezing, a problem that I have not been able to resolve.
Make sure you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on her laptop first, make sure there will be no problems.
\
Follow directions here to improve chances of a successful upgrade:
This article by Kari is well written and easy to follow: A simple guide to a successful in-place upgrade
After seeing the full vers out, which is not any diff in the rc ver, This old boy will be going to 7 myself, just a sad fact that I will still be using my old pc of win xp due to old database programs I use for info. That program and other I still use does not work with 7 wish it did, plus the fact I do not have a year to build a new database from scratch with a newer database program and learning it. I did not have a chance to use another machine to test the xp mode that come with 7, just not enough time to work on it atm.
But as for 7 I really like it, a few quirks, but all in all 7 so far has and is doing a good job, looks like MS did something right for a change.
By way of a postscript to my last submission; just resolved the freezing on my wife's Vista OS. The answer was probably obvious but overlooked. I downloaded Vista's SP2; end of freezing! I wonder how many others suffered this problem; it seems to have been connected to the ATI graphic card or so PcPitstop suggested. Don't know enough of the technical aspect to add more. May be it was a driver fault.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI