This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Log on problems with windows XP

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Some time ago, I switched the way i log on to my home comp. Previously, there was no log on required, when turned on, my main page loaded, and that was that. Someone suggested that since i sometimes share this comp. i should set up accounts as a safeguard. Through windows…….control panel, users…..it was easy to set up this method of logging in for each different person who uses this comp. Now, I am the only one using it, and i would like to change it back, but I don't know how. Another reason I would like to change it back, is that OFTEN, when i power on the comp, it starts to load up, and then when it gets to the page that says something like, unable to log on…..(which is normal, because i don't have a password) and I am suppose to hit OK to get to the main windows screen, it will suddendly bypass that prompt, and go directly to the page that says "windows is starting….", but since it didn't give me time to hit OK, it never loads and it stays on the "windows is loading or starting" page and I can't get to windows. Does anyone know how I can change my comp back to not having different users that need to log in, or at least how I can fix the log in problem?
Hi, Sorry to hear of the logging on problem. You can try doing this: 1 Click on Start 2 Click on Run 3 In the white box that appears type in: control userpasswords2 4 click on OK note the space between the "l" and the "u" and that there is no space between the "s" and the "2" 5 Uncheck/untick the box for "Users must enter a user name and password for this computer." 6 Click on OK 7 Close down your machine, then reboot and see how you go. This usually works first time, but if you still have issues, post back, and we can offer a further option. Regards paws
I am not using passwords on my machine. I did double check, and looking at the userpasswords2, the box was already 'unchecked'. The problem I am having is not with a password, but rather it is that the computer rapidly passes through the sign-in page (where you would enter a password if you had one), and then get hung up on the page that says Windows is starting…..then never does anything. Is there anyway to change my computer settings back to the original set up, where there is no log in necessary?
Hi,

The fix that we sugested is to enable your machine to log on without asking for password or clicking on your log-on icon. (it doesn't matter for this whether or not you have a password set) As the box referred to is already unchecked then it seems clear that your machine is set to boot into the desktop automatically (that is what we understand you want to do) but is not able to start Windows correctly.

As a double check you could download tweak Ui which also has a tool to achieve the same thing:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,…ml?findid=54026

The standard approach on resolving booting into Windows problems is to:

1 Close down machine wait 30 seconds boot into Safe mode and select "last known good config…"
2 Run the Windows System File Checker (SFC) to replace missing/corrupt protected system files
3 If problems remain, perform non destructive repair installation** of Win XP (install on top)

You may/will need your Windows XP installation disc (same version and service pack as your Win installation) for this so make sure it is handy.

** Make sure your "back ups" iare 100% and complete, before you do this!

Post back if you need detailed instructions on how to do any of the above.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI