I recently found out about paging files and that it boosts virtual memory and acts like RAM. From what the computer told me, a paging file is a part of the disk windows uses as it was RAM. I have a few questions
1. I allocated 40000 MB for paging files, how fast would this boost speed?
2. How fast are paging files compared to RAM?
3. Any additional information on paging files and their usefulness?
Thanks for any information I get
1. I allocated 40000 MB for paging files, how fast would this boost speed?
The general "rule of thumb" is to have the page file size set to 1.5 times the amount of RAM installed. The will be no "boost" in speed as the RAM access is faster than page file access.
What you may see is if applications requesting more memory space, being given "page file" virtual memory, run smoother.
2. How fast are paging files compared to RAM?
RAM is going to be much faster… the page file access is only as fast as the hard drive access rate.
3. Any additional information on paging files and their usefulness?
See above link
I'm sure other, more learned members can provide more detail.
Also I want to find out about this
What is the difference between:
1. 2.83GHZ and 3.00GHZ processor (Speed difference/Performance)
2. Quad Core vs Dual Core (Speed difference/Performance/Cost Effectiveness)
3.2.83GHZ Quad Core vs 3.00 Dual core (Speed difference)