This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Video running Intermittently

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, Recently, I have noticed that any video I play wether on WM, or Quickplayer, it pauses for very brief and then continues. Video does not play smoothly. The volume or sound does not pause. How do I fix this problem? Virus? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Fragmentation beyond 5%-7% can cause the symptoms you describe. It is best to run CHECKDISK error checking before running Disk Defrag And it is best to run Disk Defrag while in SAFE Mode. You probably would have said something about it, but "overly full" Hard Drives can produce the same symptom. Your hard drive should have at least 25% FREE SPACE… unless of course your Hard drive is huge. The 25% rule is important for HD's under 200GB size.
Doug, I have aout 85% free space on HD. I already ran disk fragment from window before reading your response. It was really badly fragmented. I see some improvement, but I am still getting subtle pause in videos, though not that frequently. Should I have done it in safe mode? Also, after defragment, I received a message where a thin red line/fragment could not be repaired. Does that mean anything? Thanks

Also, after defragment, I received a message where a thin red line/fragment could not be repaired. Does that mean anything? Thanks


System Defrag is only able to sort those files that are not currently in use.
That's why it is more effective to Defrag when booted in SAFE Mode, since only minimal processes and drivers are loaded in SAFE Mode.

Close down all other Windows and don't try to do other computer work when defragging.
_____________

You may gain some ideas for improving your machine's performance from either of the two links in my signature.
And you may get a good overview of your machine's performance by running the PCPitstop Full Tests.
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Restart your machine. When the machine begins booting, and before it starts loading Windows, repeatedly tap the F8 key until the Boot Option list appears. Use your arrow-keys to select SAFE Mode - then press - Enter Loading into SAFE Mode appears slightly different than loading normally (since it lists the installed drivers) but it is still automated, and the user will not have to do anything different from usual. You will get one "warning screen" telling you that the machine has booted into SAFE Mode, but you intended and knew that already. When you are finished with your Defrag, simply ReStart your machine again, and it will boot Normally.
Run and post a PCPitstop Full Tests after defragging. We'll get a better overview of your machine and perhaps can offer more informed recommendations. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI