Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

No internet connection following malware removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 silver-tongue

silver-tongue

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:28 AM

:pullhair: Hope someone can help me get back online asap. Following malware removal assistance with Safer-Networking I am now unable to connect to the internet via my vista operating system and IE7 explorer and wireless belkin router. Ken suggested I get help from you guys. I am on an other laptop and im succesfully connected to my wireless network however with the affected laptop it connects successfully but remains a local connection only with no access to the internet. I have tries various reboots and removing an adding the network however nothing seems to allow me get back online, there is def nothing wrong with the network or router as I am on another laptop on the wireless and everything seems ok. p.s no firewall or AV is currently installed, I am trying to connect wirelessly Can anyone offer any help?

Edited by silver-tongue, 02 October 2009 - 08:32 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

Hi Sorry to hear of the connection problem. Please be very careful if you are trying to connect to the Internet without benefit of Firewall or Anti virus................... you could become reinfected within seconds of establishing a connection....................... Having said that you should have the protection of a hardware firewall that is present in most routers....and as long as you are careful and do not download any emails or even open your email client, and lock away your computer in case other family members or friends try to use without realising it is open to attack...you will probably be Ok. You should have a Local Area Connection icon in your system tray (notification area) if you right click on this you should get to your network connections and be able to see your wireless network adapter ...... highlight it and click on repair, ......... ( are you inputting the correct wireless encryption key? if you do not know what your wireless encryption key is , just let us know) If no joy then go to Control Panel >Internet Options and make sure that "Never dial a connection) is selected try again and see if you get a connection. Note down any error codes or messages that you get and report them back to us in your next post. Next open a command prompt with elevated (administrator) priviliges and type in ipconfig /all note the space before the / is necessary, now press the enter key. copy down the info that is presented (edit out any sensitive info if you like) and when you have completed all the steps post it back to us here with your reply. next from the same command prompt type this: ping bbc.co.uk and press the enter key note the space before the b is required. copy and let us see all the output this produces, finally from the same command prompt type ping 192.168.0.1 and press enter copy down the response next type ping 192.168.1.1 press enter key and then copy down the response Let us have a copy of the output of all of these and it will help us help you get connected Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

Sorry to butt in... While Paws is on the right track to troubleshooting the problem, I think there may be a much simpler solution to the problem without any troubleshooting.

When malware gets on your computer it installs components that can intercept and modify your network communications. When the malware is removed, those "chains" get broken. Its called the LSP chain. I've heard suggestions that Vista doesn't have an LSP chain, which is hogwash. It certainly does.

Here's how to reset it and remove bad entries.

Open command prompt with elevated privileges. To do so, click start -> programs -> accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

At the command prompt, type: netsh winsock reset and press ENTER.

Reboot your computer. Internet connectivity should be restored. If you are still having a problem, go one step further.

Open the elevated command prompt back up and type: netsh int ip reset and press ENTER.

Reboot your computer. If internet connectivity is still not restored, continue to troubleshoot with Paws to find the issue.

Note: Resetting your winsock (removing non-default LSP entries) could break good programs. Programs such as internet safety filters, and third-party parental controls may be broken. Even some internet security suites. So be prepared to have to reinstall those programs if they get broke. Its a small chance that you are taking.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.