Laptop turns on with black screen (HELP)
6 min read
Not sure what you mean by, "I have done system elimination…"
You should probably reseat your RAM.
By "system elimination", mean I had reseat my RAM and other hardwares, battery, HDD, cd-rom etc.
THE SCREEN STILL BLANK(BLACK). EVERYTHING IS WORKING AND RUNNING BUT NOT THE SCREEN.
I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING A NEW GPU TO REPLACE THE CURRENT ONE?
You are probably having a problem with the screen or another component inside the case is lose and needs to be reseated.
See if the laptop will show you video on an external monitor. If it will, you know the laptop is working correctly and it is an issue with the screen most likely or a bad connection.
Hold the screen at an angle under bright light and see if you can see the faint image of anything on the screen, this signals a bad backlight or inverter board.
Other than that, you probably need to take it in to a service shop, unless you can take the laptop all apart. Even then, you won't get much guidance here because laptops are too proprietary to tell you really what to look for or do.
I took the laptop apart to and reset the wires that are connected to the LCD even took out the GPU too. I have connected to a external monitor, also i have shine a flashlight to the screen. i don't see anything, i'd put everything back and it's still blank/black screen.
Question: when i turn on the laptop, there's a quick flash of the light on the screen. then i can hear it's loading the O.S but the screen is black. DOES THIS MEAN THERE'S NOT WRONG WITH THE SCREEN, INEVERTER, BACKLIGHT RIGHT?
The brief flash usually is indicative of a bad inverter board. However, you should be able to see the screen faintly with a light if this is the case.
You also would be able to get an external monitor to work in this case. Remember, the external monitor has to be plugged in BEFORE you turn the laptop on, and sometimes, even then, you have to press a special key on the keyboard to make output switch to external.
If you are sure you hear the system booting up and accessing the hard drive, I would definitely let a professional take a look at it because theres a good chance you might be missing something they will see and it may be simple.
By professional, I mean a real professional technician at a real computer shop, not the geek squad, or staples or anything like that.
Thank you for your advices.
I'll buy a new GPU to replace the old one. BUT now new problem occur, its not reading my HDD. HDD's light indicator is not flashing when its power on. dayam IT
I don't really believe you are on the right track Lude. I work on laptops everyday.
You haven't specified the make and model of your laptop yet. Would you please?
Most laptops don't have a seperate "video card." 90% of them are on the motherboard.
Secondly, you stating that its not "reading the hard drive now," indicated by the light not flashing does not sound like a hard drive problem. It sound like your system is not POSTing now, and may be related to the other issue you are having.
This is why I feel you are not on the right track. However, I cannot diagnose your laptop from however thousands of miles away you are. This is why I have, and still do, suggest you find a qualified professional to diagnose the laptop before you put money into buying parts.
Anyways, please keep us informed of what you find in the laptop as you work on it. There isn't much else I can assist you with.
Sorry for not specified my laptop.
check it out.. click on "Video Card"
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst…00/sm/index.htm
Question: On this forum can members post products for sale? And do you think its worth buying a new MOTHERBOARD, VIDEO CARD for this laptop????
I know it's an old laptop and it's worthless but I really like it.
(Resovled) Laptop turns on with black screen (HELP)
I REPLACED THE OLD GPU TO A NEW ONE AND IT'S WORKING
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI