This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to restore XP system state (whole registry)

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello.
My current desktop has a Pentium 4, 3.4GHZ CPU, running 4gb of RAM on a 2-year old Asus P5B-VM. I have 8 operating systems on 5 drives but the relevant system is Win XP32. My default browser in this partition is Google Chrome.

I am operating with administrator rights.

I currently am unable to do a full backup (system state) of my xp registry. I had been accustomed to using the guided help vpscript from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 but today I get the vpscript error regarding my drive not being accessible (see attached screen capture) When i try to do this manually using the advanced feature of XP Backup I get another error message. Log file below. Any assistance would be much appreciated.



Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "RegBack.bkf created 2009-09-27 at 18:31"


Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:Catastrophic failure


Aborting Backup.

———————-

The operation did not successfully complete.

———————-

I tried using the suggestions on this page which I probably should have realized was not relevant. I have since returned the settings to normal. http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/istco…rmissions+issue

——————————————————————————————

EDIT: The manual process seemed to work once I made sure that Volume Shadowing was turned on, but I'm not sure from the first part of this report if it's a good backup or not. The MS script still fails with the same VB Script message.

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "RegBack.bkf created 2009-09-27 at 19:35"


Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:8004230f
Reverting to non-shadow copy backup mode.
Backup of "System State"
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 2009-09-27 at 19:35"
Media name: "RegBack.bkf created 2009-09-27 at 19:35"

Backup Type: Copy

Backup started on 2009-09-27 at 19:36.
Backup completed on 2009-09-27 at 19:38.
Directories: 173
Files: 2849
Bytes: 609,328,219
Time: 2 minutes and 4 seconds

———————-
Yes, turning on the volume shadow copy service fixed your one problem. Now, the message about vbscript states exactly what is wrong and where the error occurs in exactly what file. :) Please navigate to the file listed in the message, open it in notepad, look at line 7 and copy and paste that line here. It sounds like it is trying to connect to a remote service that is unavailable. The command at line 7 is returning your error.
Thanks for the reply. Here is the full file that I extracted from the executable using WinZip. strComputer = "." Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _ & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2") Set colDisks = objWMIService.ExecQuery _ ("Select * from Win32_LogicalDisk Where DeviceID = 'C:'") For Each objDisk in colDisks intFreeSpace = objDisk.FreeSpace gbFreeSpace = round((intFreeSpace / 1073741824),2) if gbFreeSpace > 1 then objShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GuidedHelp\Content\322756\CDriveFreeSpace", "GreaterThan1GB", "REG_SZ" End if if gbFreeSpace < 1 then objShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GuidedHelp\Content\322756\CDriveFreeSpace", "LessThan1GB", "REG_SZ" End if objShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GuidedHelp\Content\322756\getCDriveFreeSpace.vbs", "Installed", "REG_SZ" Next
I have another MS vb script that I've been accustomed to using "instantrestorepoint.vbs." clicking on it creates a restore point quickly. Now I get another VBS error with this script (see attached) I looked in services but couldn't see remote server in the list. What does RPC server stand for. The only "RPC" service that wouldn't start is something called Remote Packet Capture which gives a "system cannot find the path specified" error. The code for the instantrestorepoint.vbs script is listed below:

Set IRP = getobject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore")

MYRP = IRP.createrestorepoint ("My Restore Point", 0, 100)

I don't know any Virtual Basic so I don't have much of a clue about this or if it's related to the earlier vbs error.

I'm beginning to think that I've notgood things up when I used a cmd line argument last night in this page

I ran this line not really knowing what i was doing

cacls "%appdata%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA" /t /e /c /g "%username%":f

some lines scrolled down the screen.

but I forgot to edit username to my own username.

when I ran the line again using my own username it came back saying that nothing was mapped.

The page I had been following was

http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/istco…rmissions+issue.

Attachments:

I managed to get the two vbscripts to work again. All I did was to go down all the services and manually turned on all those that I thought might be relevant to this problem that were currently not started. Now I need to turn off one service at a time to see which one was the culprit. This requires a little patience. There is also the problem of needing to know why some of these essential services didn't start on their own There have been some problems with Windows Installer not working as well. I don't know if they're fixed yet or not.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI