Was just through the malware removal routine at the spybot site (here's the discussion http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=51306 ), and was noticing sluggish behavior and they suggested I post about it here.
Since the spyware removal thing, it seems like it takes forever even to boot up. I suspect this may be due to AVG (it was recommended), but I'm not sure.
Prior to this, gmail occasionally seizes and a Visual Studio Debugging window pops up which, when clicked away, closes all IE browsers. I haven't noticed if this happens with Firefox. I do have a visual studio installation on this machine for development purposes.
Any info would be helpful, especially about what processes should be running, when.
Hi Chazz.
Control panel -> Internet options -> advanced -> RESET to restore IE to its default behavior and fix most problems with performance and crashes.
Start -> run -> eventvwr.msc and press ENTER to view system event logs. Look at the system log and find RED errors about services that are failing or timing out during startup to pinpoint long startup delays. Most often occurs after malware removals due to hanging services and other problems left behind.
Thanks – will try it and report back.
–chazz
OK. Did the restore defaults thing and looked at the log. Boot up is still verrrrry slow, with much flashing on the drive light. I wasn't sure what to do with the log. I saw some red entries, most were associated with Google, but don't know what to do with that information.
Thank you,
chazz
I notice, for example, repeated "MSSQL SERVER" events when I boot the machine. I have no idea what they are associated with but they seem to be redundant.
I also feel a bit like a voice in the wilderness but that's nothing new.
Here is the event log for "system" for a recent boot:
Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
Warning 9/23/2009 11:18:05 AM Dhcp None 1003 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:18:05 AM Tcpip None 4202 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:17:50 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:17:20 AM Tcpip None 4202 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:29 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:25 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:24 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:24 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:23 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:21 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:18 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:18 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 chaz XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:18 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:17 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:17 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:15 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:15 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:15 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:08 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:05 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:04 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:04 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:04 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:03 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:03 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:14:03 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:13:30 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A XXX
Warning 9/23/2009 11:12:56 AM b57w2k None 4 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:12:54 AM b57w2k None 15 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:13:14 AM eventlog None 6005 N/A XXX
Information 9/23/2009 11:13:14 AM eventlog None 6009 N/A XXX
Chazz, because you "edited" your original post I received no notification on any updates to this thread.
Whenever you post new information, ALWAYS create a new reply to the thread so everyone is notified.
If your computer is slow there are two things you can do to help us determine why: How to run PCPitStop's Overdrive tests:
Please click here to go to the PCPitStop Overdrive sign-up page: Signup at PCPitStop (You need to use Internet Explorer with this test so that an ActiveX control can be installed.)
Click "Create a free account"
Enter in your relevant information on the sign-up page. You must sign-up in order to have your results recorded so that we can take a look at them here.
After signing up you'll see the "Registration Complete" page, and you can click "Test Your System Now" to return to the test page.
Login with your newly created e-mail address and password on the left hand side.
Follow the directions to "Scan this system now." An activeX control will need to be installed. It is safe, and you should allow it to be installed.
Once the tests have been run, you will see an "Almost there" page requesting further information about your computer and your experience with PCPitStop, just scroll down to the bottom and click "GO."
A test results page will display, and I need the link to that page.
Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/…' Please copy and paste that here to the forum.
Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer. At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest. Instead, we prefer to help you with each issue manually without using possible pay to use programs.
And secondly, post your system and application event logs:
How to capture an event log and upload it to the forum:
First, open Event Viewer by clicking Start -> Run -> type eventvwr.msc and press ENTER.
In the Event Viewer please right click the requested event log (i.e. Application, system, etc…) and click Save Log File As.
Please save the logfile to your desktop and give it a recognizable name.
Do this for each log that has been requested.
When you are finished saving the necessary logs, close Event Viewer.
On your desktop find the saved log files. Hold the CTRL key and click to select each event log.
When all event logs are selected, right-click one of them, click Send to -> Compressed Zip Folder.
A new .ZIP file will have been created on your desktop. Please attach that file to this forum in your next reply.
Thank you for responding. On the other forum, the Spybot one, the protocol was exactly the opposite: if you "bumped" your own thread it was deleted. So I just assumed that was the unspoken rule in this medium.
In any event, I will work on this. In the mean time, a question: there is a website: http://croz.fm . I tried accessing it once, attempted to download a file, and the connection was interrupted. I've never been able to access the site since, either in IE or in Firefox, with this ISP or the ones at a number of internet cafes. Any friend that I ask about it has no trouble at all.
I'm wondering if there is some sort of cache in these browsers that retains sites where, say, a download failed, or where a certain connection strength is required, and thus when I attempt to connect to it I get the cached "fail" page instead of the actual site. I know it sounds farfetched but I can think of no other explanation.
If this question requires another thread please let me know.
Thanks.
The link says I need to install a plug in for mozilla. on the attempt, a "no suitable plugin found" error is reported. when I attempt to lauch the link in IE, a failed graphic shows up on an otherwise blank page.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI