Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

ie gets slower and slower - not malware ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bladesfan

bladesfan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:22 AM

Hi

I originally raised my issue under Malware Removal (http://forums.whatth...er_t112114.html)
Having followed the suggestions by LDTate there is a general improvement but I am still experiencing the original issue which is now thought not to be malware related.

In summary:
At first on bootup my IE (7) sessions are OK, but after a while the display and updates of pages seems to slow down.
eg it takes ages to connect to an entry returned from a google search, or allow navigation between boxes on a form to be completed.
This also seems to start affecting the PC generally. Once I have shutdown IE and made sure it is no longer running under task manager the situation seems to improve. If I restart IE the situation will reappear.
Viewing of programmes via on-demand tv players ( eg http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer) suggests that the problem is not with the internet connection itself as a programme will be displayed with minimal interrupt even accounting for the poor line speed I have available.

The IE AddOns are still disabled and the java cache was cleaned.
My test is to access a particular web page from my favourites and then try to follow a link on the page.
The initial link from favourites is displayed almost immediately ( with the phishing filter selector being displayed each time, prob best to select off for now). When I try to follow a particular link IE seems to stop and the progress bar moves extremely slowly, or it resolves quickly with a page saying that the URL is not available on the site. Once IE is in this frozen state it needs to be closed.

Having skimmed through a similar titled topic there was mention of issue with asp.net which is installed on this PC, but perhaps a red herring and nothing to do with my issues.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

Have you tried an alternate browser like FireFox, Opera or Google Chrome? Does the same problem occur with any of them?

If not then it's something specific to IE. See here: How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows Vista and Windows XP

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 bladesfan

bladesfan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:17 AM

Ive installed Firefox 363 and get the same issues with the test pages I have been using.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

Can you provide the link you are testing with please?

Rich

#5 bladesfan

bladesfan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:51 AM

The test I currently run through is as follows :-

1) Follow the link, http://www.british-t...eeguide/elders/

2) If you click on the Elder tree/text in the resulting right hand frame this should display a page containing detailed information

3) In the left hand frame there is a list of tree names, of which Elders is expanded further. Below this is a link to Eucalypts (http://www.british-trees

.com/treeguide/eucalypts/). Click on this link.

On some occasions an error is returned indicating that the URL is not found, but mostly IE shows very slow progress on the status bar and never appears to complete and IE must be closed down as it then fails to respond to further input.

The problem is not confined to this site & pages as I have also experienced the issue when trying to follow links returned from a Google search and elsewhere. The test pages I use display the issue more consistently which I came across by accident when trying to research a tree type.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

The result I get when I click on Eucalyptus (http://www.british-t...uide/eucalypts/) is: Search Results The address (URL) you requested is not available on our site. The page may have been deleted or moved, or you may have typed the URL incorrectly. To help you find what you are looking for, we have searched on your behalf using words from the URL you used. You searched for "cover": Sorry, no results were found.

Rich

#7 bladesfan

bladesfan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:38 AM

That is also what I get when the page displays, but in most cases IE appears to freeze. The progress bar indicates very slow progress from one bar to the next and otherwise nothing happens. Ive checked again with Firefox and get the same issue, so suggests it is not the particular browser but something else.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

You said you have the same slowness when you boot to Safe Mode with Networking, right. Try creating a new user Account via Control Panel / User Accounts. Logon with it then it and see what happens.

Rich

#9 bladesfan

bladesfan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:41 AM

I created a new limited user account and accessed the test pages with the same result. I then rebooted in safe mode with networking and accessed the pages with an admin account. The first attempt on the link was successful, but in subsequent attempts the issue returned.

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:19 AM

@bladesfan
The link on the website:

3) In the left hand frame there is a list of tree names, of which Elders is expanded further. Below this is a link to Eucalypts (http://www.british-trees
.com/treeguide/eucalypts/

is broken......the fault lies with the website not the browser
Both Ztruker and I get the same result.....
It may be wise to try on other sites and post the links back here so we can check them out for you.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 bladesfan

bladesfan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:35 AM

Ok will try that out, but other sites have not been as consistent as the tree site, and sometimes were just an initial link fom Google. When I follow links I sometimes get the freeze, but not all the time. As I was getting different results, ie freeze or an error message I assumed it was the browser that was causing the issue by not handling the link correctly ?

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

if you can give some examples of sites where you are having problems we will check them out? 1 Do you have filters on all your BT tel sockets throughout your house? ( incl any for Sky) 2 The filter must be plugged into the BT socket and any telephone RJ11's plugged into the "phone" connection on the Filter ( via a multi point adapter if necessary)...some folks do it the wrong way round and this causes endless problems... 3 Is your Router/modem gateway/Switch connected via the filter's ADSL socket to your BT master socket ?..(not an extension socket) 4 If you have a new style BT master socket, NE5 (the one with horizontal line) have you tried connecting to the internal test socket and seeing if this improves matters? Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#13 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

@bladesfan
The link on the website:

.com/treeguide/eucalypts/

is broken......the fault lies with the website not the browser
Both Ztruker and I get the same result.....
It may be wise to try on other sites and post the links back here so we can check them out for you.
Regards
paws

To throw in my 2 cents, I just tryed it and got the same results, has to be the site, not your browser

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#14 bladesfan

bladesfan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

If you can give some examples of sites where you are having problems we will check them out? Im having problems getting any consistency with other sites, I get a freeze sometomes but eventually a page will be displayed. Today I have seen long delays loading msn.co.uk pages ( eg main page and link to Rafa Benitez leaves Liverpool) 1 Do you have filters on all your BT tel sockets throughout your house? ( incl any for Sky) Yes 2 The filter must be plugged into the BT socket and any telephone RJ11's plugged into the "phone" connection on the Filter ( via a multi point adapter if necessary)...some folks do it the wrong way round and this causes endless problems... All correct 3 Is your Router/modem gateway/Switch connected via the filter's ADSL socket to your BT master socket ?..(not an extension socket) It is actually connected to an extension in the study as the master is in a main room. My internal Wifi Router (Linksys)connects to this via an ADSL modem (LiveBox supplied by ISP - Orange) 4 If you have a new style BT master socket, NE5 (the one with horizontal line) have you tried connecting to the internal test socket and seeing if this improves matters? It is not easy to set this up. The infrastructure access to the internet has not changed for 2 years and I did not use to experience the issue previously. Perhaps i am getting some intermittent issues through the ISP. One thing I have just noticed in Task Manager is that there are several avg...exe processes, but I uninstalled AVg under the advice of LDTate and am just running Windows Defender ? Also vmware-authd keeps appearing but I not currently using it

#15 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

Hi understood.. but you need to try the router/modem in the master BT socket ( the test socket if its a NE5..... give it a good test...any improvement? Regards paws