This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Another computer problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a 2000 Gateway computer running Windows XP. I had a friend upgrade the memory and stuff a few years ago, I have 256 mb ram. (I know, not much). Anyway, awhile ago my computer started freezing during startup and I keep having to hold the reset button in like 20 times before it eventually comes on. Just recently it has started getting worse and it takes me almost a 1/2 an hour to get it started. Now it runs for maybe 5 mins and either freezes or shuts down. Sometimes it will flash a blue or black screen for a sec and I caught something about Beginning dumping of virtual memory and when it comes back on the Windows error Reporting says it was caused by a device driver but is unknown. Any ideas what is wrong and how can I fix it if my computer won't stay on long enough? I'm trying to make this computer last another few months to save up for another one so I appreciate any help!! Jennifer
Click on Start… then run… type msconfig and press enter. Under the "startup" tab… uncheck (or disable) everything there. Click "apply" then click "ok" and it will ask you to reboot… do so. After rebooting, go to control panel… click on "System".. then under the hardware tab click on "Device Manager". Look for a device that has a "?" or a "!" by it and post back and tell us which device that is.
geesh that was kinda stupid of me to ask huh.. (in case you didnt catch that .. I posted here "Is your computer a Hewlett Packard"… then, right after I posted that…"I have a 2000 Gateway computer running Windows XP" caught my eye. )


anyhow.. lets go ahead and rule out spyware/malware issues. First, download Hijack This here and then scan but do not fix anything yet. Save your scan to a log file then click here to post your log into a new thread in the "hijack this logs and spyware/malware removal" forum.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI