Hi
At the advice of HJT (I think) I have tried to remove the Microsoft VM and install the Sun VM. However, the settings in internet options-internet security-custom levels still show the MS VM. I have followed the directions to the T to remove it. I have verified that IE is now using the Sun Java VM.
So what's going on?
A separate problem I have is that I bought a Belkin gateway router and installed it between my cable modem and my belkin wireless hub. It really slows down interent access and freezes up after five minutes or so. (I've disconnected it now) I have been told that the router will prevent trojans/worms from getting into our computers, and then I was told that a firewall software does the same thing and I don't need a router. Please tell me what to do! If I need the router, can you help me solve the slowdown/freeze problem?
Thank you very much,
Suzanna
I can explain the router vs software firewall part but someone else will need to assist with the slow speeds and disconnects.
A router basically stops all unsolicted attempts to enter your computer and makes your IP address invisiable to the net as the router will have its own IP address that is sent out to the net. There are many bad bad people out there that run programs specifically looking for open ports on computers so that they can enter your system and take control, sometimes overtly but mostly on the sly. A router is a roadblock. This said good hackers can work around it but most of the bad stuff floating on the net is from script kiddies looking for fun. The one not so good thing about a router is that it stops ONLY incoming traffic. If something was on the computer already and sending outbound messages your router would not stop it.
A software file wall will stop both incoming and out going traffic, or at least notify you if something is trying to go outbound once you have configured it.
Sooooooo I can only tell you that they both serve a purpose. Most people will tell you that a layered approach is the best approach.
Did that help or confure the issue more
Heres a thread with some good information on the layered approach. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8463
Yes that is helpful to explain how they work.
Thanks also for speaking in "layman's terms" so I don't have to go look up every other word on google.
I'd like to use the router if I can solve the connection speed issue, so hopefully I'll get a reply soon about that.
Any ideas on VM?
Thanks.
Suzanna