This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problems with IE7 and McAfee following virus

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi - have been redirected here following some assistance from CatByte with some malware removal. have received a clean bill of health:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/exe_s_no_lon….html&st=30

However; IE7 won't run (I get an error saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Also; I uninstalled McAfee security centre. Can't reinstall - when I run the reinstall program, the box which comes up asking for an email address and password is greyed out, and I can't click into them to type - hence have to cancel the reinstall. McAfee Security Centre helpdesk say that it is probably due to IE not being able to run - and to get in touch with Microsoft, reinstall IE, and then try to reinstall McAfee.

(During my malware, CatByte and I attempted to reinstall IE, but couldn't - CatByte suggested I contact you here).

Can you help?

Regards
K
Doug, thanks for the advice. Have tried; but no luck - IE7 installation seems to crash with it saying "cannot be installed"; and McAfee still has the same program. End (and current) result is that neither is currently on my computer. Regards K
The following is not a "solution", rather it is the information Microsoft offers about the problem and suggests various steps to investigation…. and possibly discover the solution.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917925

I've read through the the information and instructions.
It "makes sense".

But like many/most trouble-shooting procedures, some of the steps can be complex.

I'd recommend that you print out the whole MS KB917925 pages so that you'll have them easily available to consult as you progress.

Keep us updated with your progess.

Best Regards
OK - some of the above seems to have helped. Internet explorer will now open; seems to run IE8 (but not very well - can't paste an address into the toolbar and get it to go to it, for example). Was however able to get onto the Windows update site - got all updates; but can't install Office XP Service Pack 3 - it wants to look for a file that I don't seem to have on my computer (sberet.msi) Still can't get McAfee to run the intallation prog as I can't type my email address into the required box. Interestingly, when I open both firefox and IE, they both ask me if they want to be the default browser - so what is set as my default browser (I have no others to the best of my knowledge!) Thanks for your continuing assistance. K
sberet.msi This is an installer for Microsoft Office Small Business version 2002 do you have that Office application installed. How about Office 2007? do you have that?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI