This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

partitioning new hard drive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have bought a 1 tb SimpleTech SimpleDrive and want to partition it. It was already formatted when it arrived. Do I have to delete that partition, partition it the way I want it and then reformat the partitions separately? Hope that makes sense. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
Hi, Yes that is right, but remember that anything on the disc including preinstalled software will be "Wiped" out. It is easy to do what you want to do via Disk Management in Windows, but it does lead me to ask why you would want to do this? Most of these ext hard drives are used for storage of backup….. and to set up separate partitions is …err….unusual…. Regards paws
Hi, thanks for the reply. I got this hard drive to put music and video files on as I have quite a collection of them at the moment and some of them cannot be replaced. I thought being on an external drive I could disconnect when not in use and if anything happened to the pc I would still have these. Thanks for the help, appreciated as always. hedley

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI