Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Partitioning Hard Disks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GrayGhost

GrayGhost

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 01:21 PM

It has been so long since I have done any partitioning that I have forgotten how, step by step.. Do any of you know a good site that still has all the steps on it? If so, I would appreciate a go on it...... Thanks :blink:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:42 PM

Hi GrayGhost- Your best bet would probably be to go to google to find a site. I cant right off hand think of where a good one is. As far as partitioning goes I can give you a pretty basic run down. First off if your hdd is 40gb or less I wouldnt worry to much about partitioning it. Depending on your OS (I am using XP home) you can use a Windows 98 startup disk (floppy) and at the prompt type FDISK. If you dont want to use Windows to partition theres other utilities available, for instance Partition Magic, which is very simple to use. You need a logical partition for DOS and a Primary partition. From there they'll be extended partition's. A pretty good "rule of thumb" is to have a drive for your Operating System.. one drive for your programs...and one drive for data. In my opinion you should also have a drive for your paging file..(2x the amount of ram you have installed..i.e 512mb RAM your page file should be 1024) but that's up to you.. Hope this helps some :)

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 Fozj

Fozj

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 03:47 PM

Crow, I have two HDDs, a 120GB 2MB cache with Windows XP Home and all my applications,it is master on primary IDE. Have 200GB 8MB cache divided in two equal partitions. I use E section of 2nd HDD to capture and edit home video. F section is used for storage. I have had a lot of conflicting advise on how many page files to make, size, and where to make them. I would appreciate another opinion. Thanks Fozj quote: In my opinion you should also have a drive for your paging file..(2x the amount of ram you have installed..i.e 512mb RAM your page file should be 1024) but that's up to you..

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 09 February 2004 - 03:22 PM

Hi fozj- Unless you have more then one operating system, one pagefile is all you need. Its best to put the pagefile at the front of the dirve. Hence, is the first thing read allowing for more stablitiy and better performance. I am assuming your using XP..? and have you had any problems with the total size of storage..?

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"