This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] male ware & spy ware removal

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is my first time here. I am new at working on my computer. I have a gateway lap top. MX 6455. Technology ML-37. 1.99GHz. 960 MB of Ram. SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows XP. Media Center Edition. Version 2002. Service Pack 3. This was given to me by a friend. His son used it then had a problem with it, I took it to a tech. He found that it was locked into a server in another state. He fixed it in 20 minutes or so. Now lately I let my wifes' kids on it and I am seeing glitches here and there. I ran Malware + a-squared. I once a long time ago did a system restore and had to reload everything on it but it ran great for a while. But once agian the kids got on under my log in and must have accidentally obtained a virus. I would like to if possible get this unit cleaned up so I know it is in good shape once agian. Could You please assist me with that? Thank You Wild guitar man. :pullhair: possible trojan horse. I have since put the Family on a Dell PC Now I am the only one on the lap top.
[external image: Posted Image]


DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix, SmitfraudFix, MBAM, Vundofix, or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.




Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.


Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
[external image: Posted Image]
Click the Empty Selected button.

(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

Next:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
    [external image: Posted Image]
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected .
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.
Also "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.


Please don't attach the scans / logs, use "copy/paste". .

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI