Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

LAN connected but unable to access web pages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rosie B

Rosie B

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

After very helpful advice from the Spybot Malware removal forum, my nephew's Vista laptop has been disinfected - Vundo, a Rogue Antimalware Program and a Rootkit have been removed.

See link: http://forums.spybot...ead.php?t=50685

Now, although the LAN appears to be connected, no web pages can be accessed. The connection works perfectly on my own laptop (I'm using it now).
He has the utility: ConfigFree (Connectivity Doctor) and it shows the LAN is connected and the Ethernet card is working: yet when I open Internet Explorer, the message is: IE cannot display the webpage.

I have reset IE in Tools and also the cable modem by disconnecting and reconnecting everything.

This problem means I cannot load any Windows updates.

Is there a simple solution?

Rosie

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

Hi RosieB

Let's start by looking at Network Devices to assure that it/they are installed and drivers are in place
_________________________-

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

please report back with the above informtion.

If that shows no problem, then we will proceed with ipconfig settings.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hi again, RosieB, It also appears that your nephew was connecting to the internet directly from DSL Moden, which would require his username and password for PPoE type connection. Can you find out if your nephew was connecting directly to DSL Modem via PPoE? Alternatively, he may have had a Router between the DSL Modem and the computer. Can you ask about that? If he was connecting directly to DSL Modem, you will have an easy time of it at your location, by simply Creating a New Network Connection via Control Panel. We can walk you through that procedure, if necessary. If the above does not apply then we still have some steps to take with ipconfig commands. Best Regards

#4 Rosie B

Rosie B

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:28 PM

Hi Doug

The network adapters are:
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Netwok connection
Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
WAN Miniport (SSTP) This one has an amber triangle and ! Could this be the problem?
In properties it says: Windows cannot load the device driver........ may be corrupted or missing (Code 39) & I can't connect to update the driver!

My nephew connects wirelessly at his home but here I just have the ethernet cable modem. He used to be able to connect here automatically. I don't think he needed a user name and password, but I can't remember.

Thanks for helping,

Rosie

#5 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 23,225 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Malware and cooking some great Italian and TexMex food
  • MVP

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

Hi Doug,

Thanks for helping. It appears that F-Secure was uninstalled, it most likely was not done correctly as it left a file in the LSP stack, I left instructions for Rosie to run LSPfix, lets see if this fixes it.

Rosie, go back to Safer Networking, I left you instructions to run LSPfix to remove that file correctly .

Ken

The forum is staffed by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.
If you feel you have been helped, please consider a donation.
donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

#6 Rosie B

Rosie B

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for your help, Doug & Ken. I'll give this laptop back to my nephew tomorrow and hope I don't have to come back with any more problems, You're stars! :) Rosie

#7 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 23,225 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Malware and cooking some great Italian and TexMex food
  • MVP

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

Doug, Thanks for stepping in again for me, your help is always much appreciated. Looks like removing that F-Secure file using LSPfix has done the trick. Rosie is now up and running and all clean. Thanks again. Ken

The forum is staffed by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.
If you feel you have been helped, please consider a donation.
donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

Excellent. Glad to hear it Ken. Good work RosieB. :thumbup: