This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Volume controls

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 and there are audio/video controls on the front side of the computer. I can usually control the Volume settings using these buttons, but the screen with the volume no longer comes up. It still controls the volume, but the screen with the volume no longer appears; I can only hear the volume being increased and not SEE it actually getting higher.

My computer is clean http://forums.whatthetech.com/Avira_antivi…ns_t105905.html
Hi ems88.

I looked through the users manual for your computer on the Dell site and did not see any mention of a visual display of the volume setting when using the buttons on the front.

I have a Inspiron 6000 with the same buttons and have never had any kind of visual display when I use them. Are you sure you had this previously? If so, when did it stop working?

One possibility would be to try a System Restore to a time before it stopped working, see if that gets it back.
Other than that, if you look in Device Manager (Start / Run type devmgmt.msc and press Enter), do you see any yellow or red marks?
Bingo! One of it's options is "Disable On-screen volume meter". Good call Tom.

You only see the on screen indicator if Dell Quickset is running, which is why I never see it because I disabled that a long time ago.
It was during the process of removing viruses/malware over this past week that the volume control stopped appearing on screen. How to I go about turning it back on?

One possibility would be to try a System Restore to a time before it stopped working, see if that gets it back.


If I hadn't got them all deleted in the malware cleanup so the infections couldn't be restored. :rofl:

Sorry ems, these guys will sort you out. :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI