This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Help with possible virus - hijack this log attached

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My problem started as a bunch of little issues. A friend installed zone alarm and mozilla firefox and stuff on here.. Since then, things just haven't seemed to work quite right. Freezes a lot and have to shut down using the on/off button. Some programs won't open at times. I have a few pics on my desktop…can't click on them to open them…have to go into microsoft picture manager to open them up. For awhile the same thing happened with word documents…couldn't open any of those without going in to word program first…but that somehow cleared itself up. Anyway…I started to think I had some type of virus so I went online and downloaded Norton 360. When I tried to install it, it kept stalling while trying to install the drivers and I would have to shut the whole computer down and start over only to have it do the same thing again. So I called Norton tech support. They remoted into my computer and spent a while on it but ended up telling me that my registry is corrupted and that I needed to contact HP support. HP support told me I needed to pay $99 to have them help correct my issue. I did that…HP tried to remote in as well but could not for some reason. They finally told me that I needed to back everything up and then call them back to have them wipe the computer clean and start over. I have a western digital My book, which I think I have everything backed up on. But when I called them back and told them that, they said that the $99 I paid does not cover that kind of help. I told them I wanted my money refunded, which they did…but now I'm back at square one because I still have no antivirus protection. Most programs work, but every now and then another issue comes up. Last night I was trying to install Adobe Flash player update and everytime I did, the computer froze. I was able to run the Hijackthis program as suggested by a friend and have attached the log if that helps. He also recommended that I go to http://www.scanwith.com/download/ATF_Cleaner.htm and download their program, but the installation would not finish for this program either. Finally, he gave up and recommended you guys. Can you help me? :pullhair:
Hello kraftygolfers

Welcome to the Whatthetech Malware Removal Forum,

All advice given by anyone volunteering here, is taken at your own risk.
While best efforts are made to assist in removing infections safely, unexpected stuff can happen.

Please do not attach any documents unless we ask for them that way, you need to copy and paste HJT directly into this thread.

  • Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
  • Go to Format and make sure Wordwrap is Unchecked
  • Go to Edit> Select All…..Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread by using the Submit Reply and not start a New Thread.
DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI