I couldn't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if it could, trying another monitor may give clues there, if it only does it with that monitor connected then it's a high probability.
Well, I discovered that the front intake fan of my current Cooler Master case was never plugged in, so I have that running now. Sure the HDs appreciate that as it's right in front of those & they're much cooler now. The plug for it was crammed in a crevice way up front so the builder missed it.
Also, tried plugging in the usb from the front panel again & even the internal (bios) power doesn't come on, so obviously there's some short there. When I plug the additional rear usb to the same plug-in on the MB, no problem there w/ power or their function.
But still getting the system crashes & freezes when I do more intensive tasks like memory tests or HD back-up, or streaming video.
So, will get the rebuild into the new case going next week. I'm afraid that the MB is now damaged, but we'll see when it's done.
Well lets see what the new case brings before we attack anything else, but your problems could come from a few things, temperature, ram, board or even PSU, so lets see what happens with the new case first, but make a note of the number of fans, a newer case may well have more fans, this will require more power, so if you get any issues in the new case bare that in mind, if unplugging a few fans makes a difference then your PSU needs changing ASAP, but see how you go.
*edit
Should point out do NOT unplug the CPU fan, only case fans if you do this.
Thanks, Guy, will do. The new case is the exact same Cooler Master Centurion, albeit with blue trim instead of silver. Figured that would make it easier for the parts transfer too. The case has only two fans - front intake (now running fine) & the rear out-take.
Temps & voltages all look fine per Abit Guru & Bios specs. Seems this crashing/freezing should be detectable as an incident is usually preceeded by a fast revving noise of the system & fans. Though this revving happens alot without a crash or freeze. Sometimes I can hear it coming & get out of what I'm doing before the trouble hits.
I'll try the same parts (except for the new black Plextor dvd burner) in the new case (without the apparent front panel usb short) & report back. If I have the same problems I'll probably then have to take it into the aforementioned computer shop for the $50 diagnostic as I don't have all those spare parts to swap in & out.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI