This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Power Supply

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Another Power Supply issue. A couple of months ago, I received a thermal alert on my computer. I brought it in to a local computer repair shop to check it out. I was told the power supply had gone bad, and it was replaced. My computer is working fine now, with no problems,.However I have noticed that the room I have the computer in, is much warmer than it used to be, and warmer than the rest of my house. I measured the temperature, and the room is 4-5 degrees warmer than the others. The room is about 12 x 12 and I have central air. The CPU is blowing out pretty warm air. I think the heat is coming from my computer, but not sure if it is due to the new power supply or what? That is the only factor that has changed in the room. I have looked around online about PSU, cooling units, fans, etc. and not sure what I would need if anything. I am not sure what model the new PSU is, I would have to open the case, but I know it was a generic one and cost around $60.00. I know I probably got what I paid for, and I don't mind switching it out for a better one, if that is in fact what is generating so much heat. Whatever it takes to correct this problem is fine, but I don't want to try to do it myself. Shoud I add a fan or just replace the PSU? I am using a Dell Dimension 4600, XP Pro Thanks
Hi wimpylou,

Warm air blowing out the back of your machine is not, in and of itself, a bad thing.
Afterall, the purpose of the CPU HeatsinkFan, the Case Fans, and the PSU Fan(s) is to remove heat from the machine and dispense it into the environment.

With the above said, I just now placed my hand behind my computer tower to feel the exhausted air and it feels "cool". Earlier this summer, it felt "warmer" but not "hot or even uncomfortably warm".

Let's have a look at your machine's temperatures.
Download and Run Everest 2.20 (free), here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Click on - Computer - Sensors to display temperatures and voltages.

In the Command Line at the top of Everest 2.20, Click on - Report - Quick Report-Sensors

Copy/Paste the Temperatures and Voltages portion of that Quick Report into your next reply here.
This is an "example" of what to paste: (this is just an example, not a model or ideal report)

Sensor Properties:
GPU Sensor Type Winbond W83781D (NV-I2C 2Dh)
Video Adapter Asus V Series

Temperatures:
GPU 49 °C (120 °F)
GPU Memory 31 °C (88 °F)

Voltage Values:
GPU Core 1.50 V
GPU Vcc 3.26 V
GPU AGP VDDQ 3.28 V


Let's find out who makes your PSU.
Open your case and write down the PSU's identifying information.
Most important is the information after UL and UR (the R will be backwards)
post the complete information back here into this thread.

Here's a handy website for determine "who makes what brand name PSU"
http://www.jonnyguru.com/SMPS_UL.htm

Perhaps with the above additional information we can give you more informed recommendations.

Question:
You wrote:

Whatever it takes to correct this problem is fine, but I don't want to try to do it myself.

Perhaps you mis-stated yourself and you actually do want to handle this yourself?
If you intend to have a computer shop handle this for you, I'm not don't really know why we're having this discussion. :unsure:


Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI