This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Incomplete uninstall of Dropbox

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I can't seem to uninstall some files from my Dropbox install. I uninstalled from Control Panel, and deleted the Dropbox folder in Program Files. There are still some files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents which is where the Dropbox used to be. I manually deleted some, but for these I get the error message: Cannot delete (file name): Access is denied. DropboxExt.dll msvcp71.dll msvcr71.dll and yes I'm using an admin account Help!
Hi decipherfreak

Might be a matter of stopping the services first.

Start > Run > Type: Services.msc

Find the services related to dropbox, rightclick and choose properties.
Use the dropdown menu to set status as disabled.

Alternatively, they may uninstall in safe-mode.

Second alternative if the above doesn't work out, is to download and
install windows uninstaller utility. Run it, and choose anything related
to Dropbox (only!) Then reboot.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301


Cheers
When I turned on my computer again, the files seem to have disappeared. I guess a complete shutdown solved it. Thanks for the advice anyways!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI