This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

IE 8 slow to connect

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok I took the plunge and upgraded to IE 8 from IE 6 I don`t have any major problems but have noticed it sometimes takes maybe 10-15 seconds to connect to things like hotmail or forums that I use. When I was upgrading I didn`t add-on any of the add-ons or extras or enhancements that I am aware of. I have also noticed when I come out of a website the little eggtimer keeps running for a few seconds after it (website) shuts down almost like (I must be paranoid) its sending info to microsoft or something. I am not familiar with the new format so is there anything I can do to speed things up? thanks
IE8 works well for some, not so well for others. I can't run it on my HP 750c with XP Pro+SP3 for some reason. Many people have also reported a drastic slow down when using it. The usual fix is to uninstall it from Add and Remove Programs.

I do run IE7 and have not had any problems with it.

If you upgraded from IE6 to IE8, there may be some Add-ons that came along for the ride that are not compatible with IE8. Try resetting IE8. See here: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/e…5354271033.mspx
I had terrible speed issues with IE8 and especially with opening new tabs, I disabled (menu>tools>manage add ons) 'Java Plug-in 2 SSV Helper' and it resolved my issues, may be something to try

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI