This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

IE7 to IE8 failed and now computer lagging

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi y'all! Thanks for reading this. My computer has been lagging the past few months and after doing everything that I knew to do, I turned to the experts here to see if I had a spyware/malware infection. I am now clean as you can see by the thread at http://forums.whatthetech.com/Computer_slo…tml#entry622173 but the problem still exists. Now I am wondering if it is related to a failed upgrade from IE7 to IE8 last summer. When I initially tried to upgrade, it failed and my computer was really messed up. It took DAYS to get it back running and for IE7 to work but something still isn't right as it's definitely lagging.

Where I notice it is when I try to open a program. When I click on WIndows Mail, it takes much longer than it should for the program to open, same with IE7 or Mozilla. I have 2 gb of RAM, keep my computer defragged and temp internet files deleted, etc. While the problem isn't bad enough to go to the time and trouble of a reformat, it is, nonetheless, very annoying,.

Any thoughts? I appreciate your taking this on. Thanks!

Mary B)
Hi Mary,

Sorry to hear your machine is still running slower than you would expect.
I know you've already run a bunch of scans, and much of the needed information is already available, but I'd like you to run at least one more scan that will give you a good overview of your machine's performance, and will provide some details that will help you optimize that performance.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others)

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

We'll be able to provide some better informed recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

Best Regards
Hi, I had a quick look at your logs over in Infections Removal and also your PC Pitstop results. It's clear that someone has installed Peer to Peer file sharing applications on your machine ( P2P) Doug will no doubt get back to you with more detailed recommendations for improving the set up of your machine,, but in the meantime If you have not yet uninstalled these applications (P2P) then it is recommended you do so. Both Limewire and Grokster have the ability to sap your machine's resources and files shared or downloaded with unknown provenance are a major source of malicious code being placed on computers, leading to unresponsive or slow performance, unexpected lags and performance problems in general. Regards paws
Hi Mary,

Thanks for posting your PCPitstop Full Tests Results link.

You appear to have a strong running machine that is likely to meet your general office, internet, and communications needs for some time to come.

When viewing your PCPitstop Full Tests Results, select the Software(tab) and then select the Processes(tab)
This combination will display the applications and processes that were running at the time you completed the testing.
The results items are sorted by color-coding:
Yellow Orange at the top: Items that are definitely not needed
Blue listed next: Items that are entirely User-Choice to run or not
Green list last: Items that are necessary for correct machine function as configured
Note: Even some of the Green items are third-party applications subject to User-Choice

Consider disabling all of the applications and processes listed in Yellow Orange
Consider inspecting and deciding about all applications and processes listed in Blue
Note: Most can be disabled at least temporarily via MSCONFIG (System Configuration Utility)

Next: Please notice that you have both A2 and Ad-Aware running actively, right along side of AVG which also has an active AntiSpyware component. Having all three does not necessarily increase your security and may be causing conflicts of extra scanning as each of the three detects and scans the libraries belonging to each other.
At best this is robbing system resources from your machine, while not adding significantly to your security.

A2 and Ad-Aware were both excellent utilities (in their day) but in my own opinion, neither does the best job any longer.
I recommend the free version of Malwarebytes which can be installed as available for manual scanning.
I use Malwarebytes manually at the end of the day most every day.

AVG Antivirus/Antispyware, has been a great utility and still has its fans. I used it exclusively for about 7 years, but abandoned it about 2 years ago when it started consuming more resources and adding more features that I did not think increased security significantly.
In now use and recommend either Avira or AVAST! free version (one or the other, not both)

I would recommend that you uninstall both A2 and Ad-Aware
I would recommend switching from AVG to either Avira or AVAST!
________________

Definitely remove Advanced Registry Doctor.
________________

Have a look now at the many, many old applications you have installed.
Though they are not running active, many of them contain detection libraries and scripts to block changes or restrict changes to arbitrary values that may conflict with settings from others of those same old utilities.

Particularly consider for uninstalleing

Elcor Software Premium Booster and Advanced Registry Doctor
DriverAgent by eSupport
Ashampoo WinOptimizer 5.13
XP Repair Pro 2007 (3.5.5) ddxSoftware Inc.
SpywareBlaster 4.1 (4.1.0) <– Keep this but update it to version 4.2
LimeWire PRO 5.0.11
A-squared Anti-Malware 3.5
Ad-Aware 7.1.0.10
SpywareHunter 3.5
Spyware Doctor 5.5
Tojan Hunter
Panda ActiveScan <– This is a fine online scanner that you can re-download as needed
ESET Online Scanner <– This is a fine online scanner that you can re-download as needed
PCPitstop Driver Alert 1.0 <– did you buy this? if so you are probably entitled to upgrading to version 2.0
PC Booster 5.0 InKline Global
Uninstall Startup Inspector
StarBurn (GiveAwayOfTheDay)
DSL Speed v3.9 <– this is a very old version and please note that your DSL settings didn't get optimized anyway
AusLogics BoostSpeed (version 3.7) <– obviously didn't do it's job
WexTech AnswerWorks (1.00.000)
Hard Drive Inspector Pro edition 2.20 build # 350 (2.20.350) If you want a good HD health utility use the one from the manufacturer, or consider HD Tune http://www.hdtune.com/
Advanced WindowCare 2.51 by Iobit <– at one time looked like a promising utility, but not recommended by me
Adobe Acrobat 6.0.1 Professional - English, Français, Deutsch (006.000.001) <– do you realize how old and vulnerable this is?
Windows Live oneCare Safety Scanner <– at one time looked promising, but abandoned even by MS quite some time ago
Spy Sweeper 4.x.x FIX MANiacs <– this is old and not even sure if it is Webroot
LimeWire Acceleration Patch [removed]
RealPlayer <– better to use RealPlayer Alternative from MegaCodec
Google Updater (1.4.661.11671)
Google Toolbar for Firefox (6.1.20091119) <– this is old, should be deleted and new version installed if you want it
QuickTime - you may need this if you use to sync with Ipod / Itunes (I don't really know) Otherwise use QuickTime Alternate from MegaCodec
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2 <– you can keep this one for manual scans if you wish
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20 <– this one should be uninstalled


Do you actually use ?…
Windows Live Essentials(14.0.8089.0726) <– if you do use it, then OK
________________________-

Please note that PCPitstop could not even conduct its quick HD fragmentation analysis.
this probably means that you have some HD File Structure Errors.
Therefore Run CHKDSK

To run the Hard Drive repair utility CHECKDISK, do the following:

Start - Run - (type)cmd - enter
At the blinking cursor (type)chkdsk /r

You will get a warning that CHECKDISK cannot run because files are in use.
OK. We knew that.
You will be invited to scheduel CHECKDISK to complete the next time you reboot your system.
Answer "y" for yes
Reboot your machine

During the Boot (startup) procedure, CHECKDISK will initiate a 5 part scan and repair routine.

I instructed for your to use the " /r " parameter instead of " /f " because " /r " includes " /f " plus it does an excellent job of attempting to recover any missing or corrupted sectors on the Hard Drive.

CHECKDISK can take a couple of hours or more depending upon the size of your Hard Drive.

After you have successfully completed CHECKDISK, your machine will reboot normally.
You don't have to do anything, ** and you should not touch the mouse, keyboard, or interrupt CHECKDISK.


After completing CHKDSK, reboot into SAFE Mode and run your native Windows Defrag utility

I recommend CHKDSK plus Windows native Defrag routinely about one time every 6 months
___________________

You have quite a few graphics utilities. That's fine if you use them. Otherwise consider whether or not you need them installed.

You have quite a few utilities for interaction with various cell-phones. That's fine if you use them. Otherwise consider whether or not you need them installed.
________________________________

Please give consideration to the above recommendations.

After you have completed the above, please run a fresh PCPitstop Full Tests, and post your new Results.

Best Regards
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=23184930

Thanks for such a thorough response. I appreciate all of the time you took going over my system. I uninstalled most of what you recommended. I don't see that I have Grokster installed so there wasn't an uninstall option available anywhere. As far as Limewire, I use it on rare occasions, less often now that I have an iPhone and get songs through Itunes but I am not quite ready to get rid of it. Yes, I know the danger of infected files and I promise not to come back whining if something happens.

As far as defragging, I did what you said and went into safe mode and it showed less than 1% fragmented so I don't know why PCpitstop is reporting that. Here are the results from my defragmentation last night.

Volume HP_PAVILION (C:)
Volume size = 143 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 74.69 GB
Free space = 68.54 GB
Percent free space = 47 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation = 0 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 295,879
Average file size = 575 KB
Total fragmented files = 1
Total excess fragments = 163
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.27 GB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 21,169
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 347 MB
MFT record count = 318,585
Percent MFT in use = 89 %
Total MFT fragments = 2

——————————————————————————–
Files that cannot be defragmented
None

==========================================================
The current PCPitstop results show 68mb IE Temp Internet Files but I just cleared that and do regularly.
I am the only one in this house and the only one that uses this computer so I like having a few cookies and also saved Passwords.
I reduced system restore to 1% (1940 mb) but it still reports 2651 on PCPitstop. Should i lower it to 200 mb, the next option?

The Avira Anti-Virus would NOT install as it kept disappearing while installing and wouldnt' give me any options, didn't put an icon anywhere or anything. Very strange. I installed Avast, updated the virus definitions but have not run a scan yet.

So many of my drivers needed updating that I downloaded Driver Detective and am in the process of updating them. I am about halfway through that process, I guess.

I uninstalled a ton of old stuff per your instructions. Please take a look and let me know if I missed anything and if there are other things you'd recommend. I am going to get rid of some of the graphics programs but just want to check each one to make sure I don't have anything saved inside of its program folder that I need.

IE is already opening much faster. What is your feeling about upgrading to IE8?

Thanks again.

Mary :D
Personally, I'm not ready for IE8.
But there are plenty of competent Techs who will tell you that I am nuts to say that.
Elements that IE8 provides for additional security consume to much system resources for my little machine in my opinion.
(similar to your own)

My "strategy" is to passively block most of the bloat and risk of third party advertisements on all pages that I browse.
The benefit is that I don't even see ads by google and the likes, and since they aren't even loaded, such things as mouse-overs from ads-by-doubleclick never catch me unawares.

Additional benefit is "slightly" faster browsing because all the ads do not have to be loaded.
Down-side is that you miss some colorful and animated advertisements that some folks find entertaining.
Oh well. :P

How do I do it?

I install MVPS Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

For the blank spots (where ads no longer appear) you can use FunkyToad's Homer
http://www.funkytoad.com/

Now I'll "tell on myself" for a minute here.
I like to watch a few episodes of NCIS from CBS.com/video/

And they simply won't display when I have MVPS Hosts File redirecting my DNS to prevent their ads.
So I disable MVPS Hosts File once or twice a week to watch a little TV.
That's my vice, and I'm sticking to it. :D

Since I am not an Ipod or Itunes kinda guy, I do not know, but suspect that MVPS Hosts File "might" interfere.
If it does, let me know and I'll show you the manual/temporary trick I use.
______________________-

PCPitstop is probably objecting to your fragmented paging file.
Let's ignore that for the time being.
I'll show you how to handle it in a later post.

As to System Restore Size…. Keep it at about 2048mb even though PCPitstop will always nag you about it.
2048mb will give you adequate space for 5 or 6 restore points. 200mb will hardly handle one.

Please consider continuing with the course of actions that you have already taken.
Then post back with a fresh PCPitstop Full Tests in maybe about a week of test driving to see how things are running for you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI