This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problem with IE-8 Vs IE-7

30 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dear Person;….

It seems like you solve one problem & another is waiting in the wings to take over…. :huh:
Sorta the case here…..
Simple question;=>…..How do you choose from IE-8 to IE-7 to be your default
browser without uninstalling IE-8 ????

Here's the why's & reasons……

I'm having a problem opening my emails….
Getting slower & slower to open emails , change pages , etc….
So , I downloaded IE-8….On dial-up……. :o
A 16.1 MB file…Then installed it….
Waited for an hour & a half just for it to get all those
dern updates installed along with the 16.1 MB file…. :(
What a BIG difference with my emails…A LOT quicker….
Even on the web , a LOT faster loading websites…. :)
However, on some websites some of the features do not work at all….
I'm involved with a TV repair website & have a problem there….
When I make a post there , the items I show below do NOT work
with IE-8 but work perfect with IE-7….
So obviously , it's a problem with IE-8's program….

[external image: Posted Image]


According to Microsoft's IE-8 Help website , they say that this & other websites are not
compatable with IE-8….. :unsure:
Horsepucky !!!….I say that IE-8 is NOT compatable with these websites….Big difference there…. :(
Since I've never had a problem with website functionality with IE-7 , I'd like
to be able to use it when surfing & switch on the fly to IE-8 to check my emails….
However , I can not figure out how to do that…. :wacko:
The only way I can do it is to install IE-8 for emails , uninstall it for websurfing & posting repies…
Which is a pain in the @$$… :angry:
So , is there a way to choose IE-8 & go to IE-7 & back to IE-8 without uninstalling & reinstalling IE-8 ????
My OS is Win XP Pro SP3….IE-7 is part of that OS…




Thank you VERY much in anticipation of your help… :whistling:


Later…Ron.M….. B) ….
Ztruker;…….

How ya doing ???…..Haven't seen ya in awhile…..GREAT to have ya back on my case …..


Sorry for the delay , but I deleted IE-8 & it was late last nite when I viewed your post….

I re-loaded IE-8 & ALL the updates….
I don't know if this makes any difference , but I have this version;=>…IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU

Ron, try IE8 compatibility mode

Here's the deal with that……
According to the linked info , I'm supposed to have the circled item on the navigation bar as shown below;=>….
[external image: Posted Image]
That whole bar is not there…..

But I found this;=>….
[external image: Posted Image]
I tried that & the one above the circled item , no settings made any difference…. :(


THANK you….. :)


Later….Ron.M….. B) ….
Hi Ron,

You may or may not have Turned Off - Advanced Text Services (I think I recommended for you to do so a while back)
The functionality of IE 8 may depend upon Advanced Text Service.

Here's the instruction I may have given you previously:

GoTo - Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Languages(tab)
Press - Details(button)
From the next Panel (Text Services and Input languages) - Select - Advanced(tab)
Place a checkmark/tick in front of the System Configuration item: "Turn off advanced Text Services"
Press - Apply - OK - OK to back out and then close your Control Panel


Try removing that Checkmark/tick, and then reboot.
See if the website functions properly now
Doug;…..

Good to see ya again….How are ya doing ????


You may or may not have Turned Off - Advanced Text Services (I think I recommended for you to do so a while back)

Maybe so , but I don't remember it….
Anywhoo , it was turned off…..

Consider the information in this linked text:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows…ternet-explorer

This looks like it's for Vista , which I don't have….


THANKS for your input…… :)



Later…Ron.M…. B) …..
Ztruker;…..

Ron, try IE8 with no Add-ons, see if that makes any difference.
Start / Run type iexplore -extoff and press Enter

I went to start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No add-ons)
Did that…No help….Web surfing got much slower , tho…. :(
"Display all websites in Compatibility View" is checked on….


Thanks , what's next….


Later…Ron.M…. B) ….
Try a couple more things for me please. Boot to Safe Mode with Networking and see how IE8 looks. Do a normal boot and create a new, test account and try IE8 there, see how it looks. Other than that, I don't know. If it's important then I would go back to IE7, at least until someone comes up with a way to solve this.
Ztruker;…



Boot to Safe Mode with Networking and see how IE8 looks.

Do you mean how IE-8 "works" ???


Do a normal boot and create a new, test account and try IE8 there, see how it looks.

What do you mean by;=>.".create a new, test account" ???


Later….Ron.M…. B) …
Yes , look === works :thumbup: By test account, I mean go to Control Panel, User Accounts and create a new Administrator level account. Logoff your current account, login with the new one then try IE8 and see how it looks/works.
Ztruker;…..

I AM THE "Administrator" on this computer….
I thought there can be only ONE Administrator per computer ….
Is that right ???
I can set up any number of "guest" accounts….
Which type of account do you want me to set up ???
Remember , I'm STILL a newbie… :D
IF setting up a new "Administrator" account is the same way as setting up a
guest account , that's no problem for me…
IF there's a different proceedure , then I may need help….


Later…Ron.M…. B) ….
Ron, you can set up as many accounts as you want that have Administrator level authority. Open User Accounts Click on Create a new account Enter the name for the new account and click Next Make sure Computer Administrator is selected then click the Create Account button Logoff the current account, login with the new one. Wait for it to finish setup then start IE8 and see how it looks/works.
Ztruker;….

In reply;….

Boot to Safe Mode with Networking and see how IE8 looks.

I could NOT get online….NetZero could not dial out…. :( ……

Do a normal boot and create a new, test account and try IE8 there, see how it looks.

Created new account…
It has full Administration rights…..
1st thing I noticed was that my desktop icons were reduced by 95%…..A vast open screen !!!!..
IE-8 operated noticebly slower & the problem is still with us….. :( …..


THANK YOU…. :) ……


Later…Ron.M…. B) ……

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI