This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer....

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Whenever I go to view something that should use the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer I get the following message in the window….

No Preview Available


Can someone tell me how to fix this so I can use it
A file is made up of a filename and a file extension, e.g. explorer.exe which is what displays the data when you open My Computer, Windows Explorer and even your Desktop.

By default, XP hides the file extension. You can undo that and show file extensions as well as hidden files and folders (another lame attempt by Microsoft to protect the user from him/her self).

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Click Apply and OK

Now when you click on a file, you will see the filename.ext and can post that info here so we can better help you.

I have no idea what you mean by "extension"..


It is the file extension.

If a image file is in jpeg format, it would list as "Image.jpeg" or if text file, "name.text"

Extension=format.

What kind of file are you trying to open, the format that is?

If it is a format not supported by windows faxviewer, you need to either change the
format, or use a different viewer.

Windows Fax and Picture viewer supports the following formats;

.BMP, .GIF, .JPEG, .ICO, .WMF, .TIFF and .EMF

I can recommend Format Factory. You can even try to repair
the file(s) in question with Format Factory.


If the above doesn't sort it out, we may have to look at security and file settings.


Regards

document of some sort

try opening it up in notepad or wordpad or MS Word if you have Office installed. Is it a email attachment by any chance? Or supply the file extension as suggested.
I fixed it….I guess Acrobat adobe Reader was removed from the laptop…So i installd the newest version and it is working now. Thanks for all your help people.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI