This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot get Javascript pop-ups to work

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently went through a malware removal, and this has caused Javascript pop-ups to not work. Java and Javascript are both enabled, and I do not think I have a pop-up blocker on. This has been a problem with trying to download a game via a required pop-up, and even trying to get onto Mozilla support chat. I use Mozilla Firefox for all internet activity, and do not know what else to do.

Here is the link to prove I am malware free, as well as a complete list of all activities completed over the past two weeks.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Windows_Fire…897#entry569897

Thanks
Katie
Hi Katie

FireFox have its own popupblocker, requiring one to allow sites, instead of the other way around.

In the top menu, select tools, then options.

In the dialog box that appears, click on "content" page.

Blocking popups should be checked off, and stay that way. Instead click on exceptions, and add the site
in question you want to allow use popups. Simply type in the address and domain, then click allow.

So to allow google, it would be; www.Google.com

If the site have any subdomains, sometimes they are needed as well, rarely, but still seen tho.


If the above doesn't work for you, you can try re-install the newest Java runtime enviroment, and check that it is activated in plugins,
by typing the following in your Firefox browser address line; About:Plugins

Scroll down to JavaTM platform, and check that all is saying activated in the right side pane.

Newest version of Java: JRE 6 update 14, number two from top.


Regards
Neither of these things has helped. The pop-up blocker was not enabled at all, but I enabled it and then added an exception for the site I was trying to get on. I already have the latest Java environment, and I can get these same pop-ups to work in IE. Thanks, Katie
Hi again Katie :wavey: Try run FireFox in safemode, lets see if it is addon / plugin thats the troublemaker. Start - All programs - Mozilla, choose safemode. If the popup works, it among those we should find the culprit, addons / plugins. You say that IE works, also on the Mozilla homepage / Chat? If the safe-mode doesn't work, we might have to look at your Java install. Btw., what is the page you have trouble with? More so I could check it. Cheers
So the site I was having trouble with today was the direct to drive game downloads, I recently purchased a game and it was not working. I also had problems with the mozilla support live chat pop-up, which is currently closed but was not yesterday. However, the problem comes up anytime theree is a necessary pop-up where the scroll over link in the bottom left says javascript. The pop-up does work with Mozilla in safe mode, so hopefully that will tell you more about the problem. Thanks, Katie

so hopefully that will tell you more about the problem


It sure tell us where to look :)

Open FireFox, tools, choose addons.

Disable them all.

See if you can get the popup, if not it is a plugin. If you can, the culprit have to be found among
your addons. If so, its a bit of a tedious work, but really the only way to do it.

Once disabled, close FireFox.

Now comes the tedious work. Enable them one at a time, opening and closing Firefox everytime.
It is important that you close and open in between each try.

Do this until you find the culprit. Once found, we can take it from there, if it is a addon you need. We'll
look at work-arounds / Alternatives.

Cheers
Even with all the add-ons off it is not working, unfortunately. You said it could be something else, please let me know how to check that. Thanks, Katie
Regarding plugins, they are removed differently. It can be some detective work, as the files doesn't clearly state what they are. So the easiest way, is to re-install the plugins on top the old ones.

For java, that means re-installing java for example.

heres the Mozilla site with the different plugins.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7

Otherwise, plugins, can be found in C:\programs\mozilla firefox\plugins


Cheers

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI