Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Bizzarre problem..

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drkhrse

drkhrse

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hi all.. Thank you for your time/wisdom/guidance.. A good friend of mine has recently received an e mail from a known contact with an XLS attachment, but is unable to d/l it. She has received similar attachment files previously, and has had no problem with d/l or opening thru Excel.. my first thought was a corrupted file, but here's where it gets weird..the same e-mail and attachment was forwarded to another known contact(from the original sender), who was able to d/l and open without issue. This person then forwarded said e-mail back to the original intended recipient(my friend), same problem. The attachment does not even attempt to d/l. She then forwarded it(after several attempts) to me, I have the same problem, and I in turn have been unable to forward the msg/att. The only common factor that I have been able to ascertain is that the msg came frm an optusnet email acc, sent to another optusnet acc, it will wrk, but thru hotmail it just wont work, indeed it won't even attempt to d/l the attachment...to my monocell brain it's just "curiouser and curiouser"...any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated, as I am frustrated by the apparent absence of logic..(or I am a complete moron, another strong possibility).. kind regards, especially if you can help... :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

Hi drkhrse, welcome to WTT. My first thought is something is blocking it. Perhaps a spam blocker, firewall or anti-virus program. Are you sure the file is malware free?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 drkhrse

drkhrse

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

I cant d/l it to scan, but it is just a spreadsheet document for basketball, nothing suspicious in that regard., I even attempted to d/l with all security disabled, same result..

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

It could be a problem in how the message is attached... If one of the user's is using a certain type of mail client it may compose the message differently than someone with a different type of mail client, or webmail. I often have problems opening attachments from people who use Microsoft Outlook. It "embeds" the attachment into the message and only someone with Outlook can open it. There are changes to make to allow compatibility. But this could be a possibility also. In this case, the sender of the original message would be using a client such as Outlook, and you two would not be, therefore unable to open the attachment. Just something to think about. You may try to have the original sender of the message use a different e-mail account, such as a free Yahoo account, or hotmail account to send the attachment and see if it resolves the problem.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

Does Hotmail have some kind of built in Spam blocker? Perhaps that is what is preventing the download. What do you see when you click on the attachment? In Yahoo, a window pops up saying Norton scanned it and there were not viruses. There are two buttons, Download or Cancel. I don't have a Hotmail account so can't check to see what it does normally.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

It could be a problem in how the message is attached... If one of the user's is using a certain type of mail client it may compose the message differently than someone with a different type of mail client, or webmail.

I often have problems opening attachments from people who use Microsoft Outlook. It "embeds" the attachment into the message and only someone with Outlook can open it. There are changes to make to allow compatibility. But this could be a possibility also. In this case, the sender of the original message would be using a client such as Outlook, and you two would not be, therefore unable to open the attachment. Just something to think about. You may try to have the original sender of the message use a different e-mail account, such as a free Yahoo account, or hotmail account to send the attachment and see if it resolves the problem.

Good point, I myself have seen the very thing you describe, many time I get e-mail from past church members and OE cannot open the file, but if I use Hotmail or another email client then I can open the file, you may want to try and do what appleoddity says and see if that will work.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#7 drkhrse

drkhrse

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

Thaneoddityks Apll,,,??? wow I have no idea how that happened Thanks Appleoddity..I had never heard of this type of conflict.. I can sleep now

#8 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

You must be typing on a laptop?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#9 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:36 PM

If the Excel sheet has any Macros, like self-calculating cells and such, your email client may block it... because it is capable of being "active". I have that problem with a large number of folks that I exchange spreadsheets with. What I sometimes have to do is to print out the spread sheet, take an image of it, and then paste it into a word .doc as an image. Works great for conveying the information, but loses the interactive components. Might not even be the email client, but rather the ISP's filtering. Hope you get it sorted. Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#10 drkhrse

drkhrse

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:43 AM

You must be typing on a laptop?

Even worse.. a normal keyboard on a beanbag...plus I was a little drunk :blush: