This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

AVG

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello
I was told my pc is slow because I have the Mcafee Secutity Center.
It is free for Comcast subscribers and does a thorough job so I keep it.
I see that AVG now has an uninstallet tool and the purchased Suite seems to offer the same coverage as Mcafee which the free version does not.
By any chance is there anyone out there who has tried both and can comment on their relative speed?
While McAfee receives more user complaints about being cumbersome and hogging system resources than any other product other than Norton/Symantec,…. AVG is rapidly approaching the same frequency of dissatisfaction amongst users (more due to poor updating, but also because of growth in size and tendency to hog resources… thereby slowing down speed of computer function.

I personally use Avira AntiVirus (free) http://www.free-av.com/
More of our Techs tend to recommend AVAST! AntiVirus (free) http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Some folks like to use McAfee Site Advisor to give them Website ratings when they search/browse. (even though they don't use the rest of McAfee)
McAfee Site Advisor is available (free) http://home.mcafee.com/Store/FreeServices.aspx?ctst=1

I chose not to use anything of McAfee and instead have subscribed to the excellent Web Of Trust (WOT)
Web of Trust is available (free) http://www.mywot.com/


Please also give your attention to AntiSpyware and Firwall consideration.
Have a read about Best Practices, here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Preventing_M…ing_t98700.html

Best Regards
I read your material and appreciate it. One question, can you use WOT with Mcafee's Security Center? I think I made this observation in another forum not too long ago; it seems that non techs like myself generally tend to need comprehensive anti malware programs that do a lot for you but also sacrifice speed. More skilled users have some clever ways to maintain speed yet stay safe. Everytime I see a free program, than read about the paid version, I know why one is free. let us all hope we make the right choices and stay safe. If Mcafee were not free, I think I would try some combos of a/v, anti spy, real time protection, anti hacker, and the other necessities. I gues firewalls and routers don't hurt either. Thank you again for your information
Hi GP. I use Comodo Internet Security on two of my computers (won't run on the 3rd for some reason).

Why?
  • It's free
  • Has a top rated firewall (I run the firewall on all my computers)
  • Has a good antivirus
  • Does not bog down like Symantec, McAfee or AVG
Hi Z I looked at Comodo Internet Security and had a question or two. Besides a router and the free Comodo, what else do you need? I am thinking of things like 'real time protection', some defense against hackers and features most of the paid programs boast about. Before a comprensive program like Mcafee, as heavy as it is, I had about four different programs to provide everything it seemed I needed. If it doen't require much, it is a good consideration. Thanx.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI