This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Odd Drive C:\ File Tree

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've never seen anything like this before: have any of you? 📎Drive_C__odd.jpg This is a digital snapshot of a Laptop C:\ Drive It did not provide any Error messages. It booted through the Window XP Pro flag screen with progress bar, and then "snapped" to black and repeated reboot. Machine is Toshiba M45 laptop I loaded BartPE to salvage saved files after finding that the machine would not boot at all. The above image is the C:\ file tree
Is that list from BartPE? Looks like some kind of weird file system corruption. Running chkdsk may fix it or may completely destroy anything useful. Maybe run chkdsk without /f, /p or /r to see if it detects any problems?
I did run CHKDSK with no parameters. It finished within less than 5 seconds reporting no problems I ran CHKDSK /r - it finished withing 5 seconds and reported no problems Recovery console accepts "no" commands of than DIR, CHKDSK and EXIT DIR reports the same information as pictured in the above image. Nothing else is recognized as – not a recognized command – file not found Recovery console would be expected to open with: Microsoft Windows XP™ Recovery Console: The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality. Type Exit to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer. 1: c:\Windows Which Windows installation would you like to log into (to cancel, press ENTER)) 1 Type the Administrator password: xxxxxxxxxx _______________________________ Instead if simply opens with: C:> C:\Windows ________________________________ What a mess. At this point, I plan to format and reinstall. I'm not aware of any other maneuvers to attempt. But I'm open to suggestions. I won't get around to starting the format and reinstall until about noon tomorrow. thanks,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI