This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Change of (C:) drive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello there,

I was referred to you by the other group:
"HijackThis Logs and Spyware/Malware Removal"

My details are as follows:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 21:48:33, on 16/07/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)


I have a problem as it shown on the following images:

safemode
[external image: Posted Image]

normalmode
[external image: Posted Image]


On the normalmode the "DATA(C:)" drive and the icon of it was exchange with "Tom Tom(C:)" and a funy icon (of unknown software).

Does anyone encounter a problem like this or knows how to solve it?
I have this problem quite a long time and I don't know how it occurred.

Thanks
Plony
Hi plony

I think you can make changes like that with these tools, here:
XP Tweak Tools free

http://www.stardock.com/products/logonxp/download.html


The above linked tool comes well recommended by others that I rely on though I've never had occasion to use them myself.

No telling from the information that you've provided, as to what caused the original change.
But since you've run with it for a few months, you may have determined that it is "appearance only" and not malicious in and of itself.

So you might be able to use the linked tools above to make a change to your preferred presentation appearance.


Best Regards
Hi dough,


I am not sure that it is "appearance only".

It is obvious that something is blocking the original name and reveal instead another name (a name of a software) and the icon was replaced with icon of unknown software.

You can see that clearly from the fact that in the safemode it shows all right.

So it might be a malicious problem.


Thanks
Plony
Have you uninstalled the "emule"? Sharing your C:\ and D:\ partitions may be your choice, or it could be that emule or some other aggressive file sharing program has made the choice for you. Either way, sharing those drives leaves you quite open. Have you recently (or just before the problem appears) participated in a Remote Assistance session?
For a few days I uninstalled the "emule" and changed C: and D: to -> DO NOT SHARE THIS FOLDER. Now I reinstalled the "emule" again. I have never participated in a Remote Assistance session.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI