This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

C:\$Mft corrupted !

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hi For the last 2 weeks or so, whenever I open some programs, a little warning yellow icon pops up and tells me that C:\$Mft is corrupted and it need a disk check, after googling up and down it seems a pretty nasty corruption and it looks as if there is a risk of losing my hard drive altogether. I use Vista and got this computer as part of an offer, which means I probably don't have the vista installation disk, therefore, formatting and reinstalling isn't an option for me, I was wondering if you heard of this problem before and, more importantly, if you'd know any appropriate solution that wouldn't involve a disk format ?? I am not sure, but it seems to have happened since the last windows update, if that is any help. I don't know where to turn to at this point, I will backup all my data as soon as I can but any kind of fix would be greatly appreciated Thank you, once again, for any help provided
Hi LondonBabs,

What is the make and model of the computer? Most recent computers have a recovery partition on the hard drive and as such do not require CD/DVD for the OS.

But that being said you are not at that point yet.

As the error states:

CHKDSK
————————————————–
Try running Check Disk:

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run… box and type: cmd

Then type: chkdsk /r

You will be told the volume is in use do you want to run chkdsk on next boot? Type: Y and reboot.
Hi jephree, yea, sorry, I should have given a lil' bit more details, it's a Dell inspiron 1520 and indeed, if this computer has such a feature as recovery partition, it could be rather handy, I'll start looking into it, but any help is still and always appreciated. as for the chkdsk, I actually run it quite regularly in order to avoid such troubles, but I tried and it is a little bit useless in this instance. I was thinking also to do a system restore but wanted to ask you first if there was any other alternative, I just updated my security and installed firewall anti-spyware and many other security stuffs and it'd be a little bit annoying to have to reset them, even though I wouldn't hesitate one second if it was one of the only solutions available. Maybe you'll think of something less extreme before I get to this point, let me know if anything comes to you. thank you.
well, actually, I know I have a recovery partition, it's been there from the beginning, I just never knew what it was for and never paid much mind to it before, I had a look into it and understood that the PCRestore option in the tool folder would restore my system back to its original configuration, all I need to know is if it will keep my installed programs once I run the process or just reset everything ? Yea, I guess if you had some link to a tutorial it'd be the faster, it seem somewhat an easy to fix issue now. I'll start having a look out there myself, but if you know anything, it'd be appreciated… thanks again
Hi LondonBabs,

Thanks for the updates.

Just a quick reply to say the PCRestore will set the computer to "factory condition".

Anything you have added to it will be lost.

If you allow me some time I will pull up your model manuals and see what other options are available to you.

I will return ASAP.
Hi LondonBabs,

Just to clarify after running check disk this error continues to appear?

Or what behavior and results do you get from check disk?

A System Restore would be a better first step than the PCRestore as said all you have added will be lost.

Another thought is PCHealth. Do you have this feature and if so is there a hard drive diagnostic?

Finally try this command:

Open the run dialog.

Type cmd

Next type fsutil dirty query C:

What says the computer?


…
Ooops. Sorry Londonbabs, The information that I linked for you is for XP. Sorry, it won't work for you with your Vista system. Doug
Hi Jephree, well, at first I would run the chkdsk and yes, the error would still appear afterward, but now, it's definitely very odd, well, first, your explanation won't work from the run command because I need admin rights (or it says elevated rights or something) so I just went directly to the disk options in the tools section, after checking both boxes, it schedule the application and then I reboot, what is odd, is that usually while it prepares to check the disk it ask me that if I need to cancel it I can always press any key, but this time it doesn't, I tried twice and twice it just goes straight into launch and tells me "cannot open volume direct access". That's the first thing Then, I do have PCHealth but there is only a ERRORREP folder in it completely empty (not even a hidden folder, just 2 empty folders ?!?) and the fsutil is still a DOS window and still needs admin rights which I don't know how to achieve… So far still at the same point…
Hi LondonBabs

Please follow the directions given by Wannabe1 on our sister-site, from here:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Disk-Check-…559#entry756559

This should also work in Vista.

Additionally, all commands should be run with administrator privileges.
You could consider running the whole "show" as admin. Its just important
that one remember to switch back again to a normal user-account. Consider
doing this off-line, in which case it would be beneficial to print out the directions.

For turning on admin account:

Press windows key (The one with logo between CTRL and ALT)
Click Session Image on top (sort of Avatar)
Click on "change my account type"
It should now switch to administrator.

Remember to switch back again to normal user-account.

Reason being, that any .exe files executed while in admin mode, have admin priviliges.
This include malware and other unwanted stuff.


Regards
Hi Abydos, thank you for your help, but in essence, you are telling me to do a dskchk, and as I said before, whichever way I try, it will always tell me the same "cannot open direct volume access" I have no idea why, but chkdsk is literally crippled, I am also sure it'd do a lot of good… if only it'd let me run it ! of course everything was done with admin rights and I followed all instructions, but to the same result. If only I could run a chkdsk using a way or another, I'm sure it'd help immensely but so far no luck and I usually do one of those at least once a month, so I don't even understand how this came about, to start with… Anyway, anybody else has some ideas ? other than using system restore ? I'd really prefer to keep this as a last resort solution. thank you so much in advance if anyone can come up with a solution.
If you read the whole thing through, you will see that wannabe1 explains some features that will unlock the drive, in order to get CHKDSK to run. I am aware that CHKDSK have difficulties running on your machine, and wouldn't advice those directions, if I knew that was already tried. Jephree already instructed you to query the dirty bit, this is the next step I am sure he would recommend. I am just stepping in as he is not online. Makes for a speedier expedition, which means you can go back using your PC the way you use to a lot faster. Have you tried the directions from Wannabe1? Regards
oh, no worries, I really appreciate yours or Jephree's help, nonetheless and unfortunately, those directions didn't work either, I did follow every step, making sure they were all under admin rights, but the result was the same, regardless. would it do any difference to try in safe mode maybe ?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI