This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Building a gaming rig for the very first time. Assistance!

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey all. After owning a bunch of premade computers, I actually came to the decision to build my own. I'm in the market for a new desktop, and I wanted to learn, and build a rig that had the stuff I needed, and stuff that would make it a godly gaming machine.

This is my first time building, so I'm a tad overwhelmed. So I came here for some assistance. I picked out my components, and they are as follows:

BFG Tech 1200 watt power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817702015

Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0GHz processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115130

EVGA nForce 790 Ultra SLI Motherboard
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…p;Sku=E145-2037

Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champ PCIe Sound Card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…mp;Sku=C44-3392

Kingston PC10600 1333MHz 2GB DDR3 Triple Channel Desktop Memory Upgrade (x3, for 6GB RAM)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…&CatId=4534

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Video Card - 896MB GDDR3 (x2 for SLI config)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…&CatId=1839

Intel Network Adapter
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…2&CatId=200

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS Hard Drive - 1TB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…4&CatId=139

Sony CD/DVD Burner (Also reads dvds and cds)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…p;Sku=S167-4522

And a Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-High-T…7533&sr=1-2

This is the component selection I chose. What do you guys think of this for a gaming rig? And what things should I be aware of when building for the first time? This seems overwhelming to me at first, but I really wanna learn.

Any input will be appreciated!
I am in no means a pro at putting components together, but I do know individual components that stand out from the crowd that are very good, so bearing that in mind these are my thoughts on this.

PSU, I suggest getting the following one, it's the Rolls Royce of PSU's, it may not have as much power on aper as your selection, but I bet it would walk all over that one, not to mention it's cheaper as well, if you still wanted the 1200 they also do those for around $500 or so.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817703022

CPU, don't know as much about these, BUT, as a thought that may make your system last longer, they have a bundle deal on the PSU where you can get an i7 CPU for not much more, I have no idea how it compares to your choice, but what I'm suggesting is that even if it's not as good, you can get yourself an i7 set up at an affordable cost, then when prices come down and you get more money you could simply upgrade the |CPU again to be even more powerful at a fraction of the cost of going all out i7 to start with, just a thought.

Motherboard, no comments on your choice, but carrying on from above, if you go i7 then you need an x58 board, so here are 2, 1st a bit dearer than your choice, and you may even could consider spending more than this getting even better if the savings allow for the overall cost, and the 2nd is at the same price as yours virtually.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…&CatId=4070
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…&CatId=4070

Sound, again no comment.

RAM, I would not get that ram, but instead of looking for an alternate ATM, I will show what I suggest going on the i7 route, both are double or so the price, but the performance will blow that away to dust, 1 note though, you will need to use a 64bit OS to do this, the 1st one is cheap but I don';t know much about it, but I heard the names not bad, but if you can stretch that bit further the 2nd option is better IMO.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…&CatId=4093
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…&CatId=4093

Video, I am not a gamer, so others may have different thoughts about this, but from seeing many threads I would suggest research SLI, it's dead tech when I tried to do stuff with mine, I went SLI with the dreaded 680i boards, never again, and support is not very good for this, but maybe things have changed ? (alternate option should SLI still be the goal under this).
If you were to go another route I'd suggest XFire, far more options available with this.
But you have gone for 2 cards, what I have seen people suggest is forget it and go x2, they reckon it's better, then you could get another x2 later on and go crossfire if you still wanted at a later date, maybe when prices drop, but this is what I'd get from that site.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…&CatId=3669
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814125254

Network Adaptor, Why ? I ask incase you have specific needs, but incase your not aware they are on the motherboard as standard, often 2 of them, so unless you have a reason theres no need for this.

Hard Drive, this is a no brainer, and it's cheaper lol.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16822152102

DVD Burner, big question here, do you want Blu Ray capability ? be aware it will probably double to triple the cost, but you could add a 2nd drive later on if you want this but can't afford it yet, the 1st link is from your source, but they are limited (with some other stuff as well), so the 2nd link is a better option IMHO.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…&CatId=1624
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16827249037 (although I must admit the comments are not what I'd expect of a Plextor)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16827129026 (an alternate with the previous in mind)

Case, well nothing against yours, but if you wanted some choice here are a couple more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811129043 (heard good things about this one)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811163102 (not seen this one, but good solid maker)
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Cosmos…4961&sr=1-2 (heard good reports and very spacious).

The point to note with a case is you need space if going for these components, the PSU I suggest is massive, and the video cards are as well, even your video cards are large so the more space the easier it will be for you getting it in, another thought, you may want to consider an after market heatsink and fan, the stock ones are OK, but if you want to push it then an after market one is a wise move.
They can often knock 10 degrees or more off the temps, you may also want to get some thermal grease, Arctic Silver 5 is considered the best, you will find some already on the item when you get it, or a tube to use for it, but it wont be this stuff, so you may want to get some thermal cleaner as it will help remove the other stuff, and helps clean up, without this it's hard work..

Hope this gets you started, see what others say as well as they may be aware of issues I'm not, but on an individual basis these are pretty top end ish parts, hope you enjoy the new system when you get it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI