This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

windows freezing up only when online

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok … My wifes computer will freeze up when it is online. I thought it was a virus or something bad like that so I posted in the malware forum Tomk helped me out as you can see. We got the logs clean but when I turn on the wireless card I have about 1 min of run time befor the whole computer freezes up. I then need to shut down the wireless card wait for up to 30 min to see that it did shut down then do a hard restart. It wount shut down on its own no matter how long I let it sit. If I never connect online I dont have a problem I can have task manger up befor I get online and moniter everything but dont see anything using cpu. My hhd light will go on soild when the card is turned on and my cpu % is still low.

Ok I think this is everything I can think of.

Any and all help would be great.

Link to Malware Forum thread
Hi ronmad02, welcome to WTT (tech side, not the dark side).

What is the make and model of your computer. It appears to be a laptop since you use wireless but more info would be good.

The first thing I would try is to open Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right click on the wireless connection and uninstall it. Shutdown and reboot. Windows will rediscover the card and reload the drivers. See if that helps.

Easy way to open Device Manager is to enter devmgmt.msc into the Start / Run box.
thank you for helping me . I am out of town this weekend with out that laptop I do know it is a dell 600m I will get the rest of the info for you and I will try what you recommened also when I return sunday evening. thanks
You can also try updating the driver for the wireless NIC. If you go to http://support.dell.com and click on Drivers and Downloads, you can enter your laptops service tag and it will show you what drivers are available for your specific computer.

So if uninstalling it as I suggested before doesn't help, updating the driver may.

Post back if you have any questions. Provide the make and model of your wireless device. You should be able to get this from Device Manager (Start / Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter).
ok I am back I have removed and reinstalled the nic driver and updated it to the lastest still doesnt work. Its like something is trying to down load a file. I can moniter the task manger (network tab and performance tab ) I dont see anything happening. My hhd led will glow bright and steady thou. I know I am missing something. Thanks
Oh yeah the nic is a dell 1370 wlan mini-pci internal card. The laptop has 2gb of ram , 100gb hard drive, and a celeron 1.4 ghz , Windows XP home ver 2002 with sp3
Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking, see if you can use the internet.

To get there, press F8 as soon as you see the Dell logo and continue to press it every second or so until you get the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Select Safe Mode With Networking. Login as your normal account or Administrator (no password). Then start IE and see what happens.

Post back with results.
Ok it looks like I can run in safe mode with networking. I am starting to think it is my avast acting up It needed updating so while in safe mode I tryed to do a manual update and the system frooze up but it was running fine till I did that task. Should I try to uninstall it and reinstall it or is there a way to clear out the download cache that may be corrupt. thanks
To do a thorough job of cleaning out the accumulated junk in your system, follow the directions here:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_clean_up…ce_t100889.html

Once that is done, it wouldn't hurt to download the latest Avast and save it, then uninstall the current installed version, shutdown and reboot then install the new one.

I don't think that will make a difference but since it's easy to do, it's worth trying it now before proceeding. If it doesn't fix the problem, then we need to look at what is starting when you boot your computer then start eliminating them until the culprit is found.
Ok I uninstalled avast and the computer ran fine I reinstalled the lasted avast and all is working fine. It looks like it was avast they said if you shut down befor its donedownloading it can corrupt the program that is what I think happened. Thanks for the help

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI