Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Failed connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paxbrother

Paxbrother

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

I am having problems with my wireless internet connection. I am using an Edimax IEEE 802.11g Hi-Gain USB Adaptor to connect, however it is now endlessly "acquiring network address", and the driver software that came with the adaptor connects then disconnects, connects then disconnects, and so on. All the other PCs in the house (2 desktop, 1 laptop) can connect without a problem. I had this problem a week ago and ended up calling Sky Broadband cust. support who talked me through the problem and actually solved it by manually entering the IP address, however this doesn't appear to sort it anymore... Any suggestions welcome!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

I had this problem a week ago and ended up calling Sky Broadband cust. support who talked me through the problem and actually solved it by manually entering the IP address, however this doesn't appear to sort it anymore...

Then you should call them again, because an interface set to "manual configuration" does NOT display "aquiring network address" that will only be seen if someone switched it back to "obtain IP address automatically". Or if you remember what the settings were, put them in again.

Tallon41

[edit: looking for a driver update on the MFRs website is also a good idea, though may not solve this problem.]

Edited by Tallon41, 19 May 2009 - 12:29 PM.

#3 Paxbrother

Paxbrother

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

if i attempt to re-enter the ip details it states - "the ip address 192.168.0.7 you have entered for this network adapter is already assigned to another adapter RT73 USB wireless LAN card. RT73 USB Wireless LAN card is hidden from the network connections folder because it is not physicaly in the computer. if the same address is assigned to both adapters and they both become active, only one of them will use this address. this may result in incorrect system configuration. Do you want to enter a different IP addresss for this adapter in the list of IP addresses in the advanced dialogue box? YES/NO"

#4 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

Do you want to enter a different IP addresss for this adapter in the list of IP addresses in the advanced dialogue box? YES/NO"

well, say "no" for now. This happened because you did not use the same port as when you "fixed" it.

You have to remember that USB devices are PORT specific. If you plug the device into a different USB port, it will install as a 'new' device, all the 'drivers' are already present so it does so quickly. At this time, you need to Either

1. Shutdown, remove it, then Restart and at the desktop, Plug-in to the SAME USB port that it was in when you "fixed" it before.

Of

2. If that port is not the most convinent for you [back vs. side ports etc.] then put it where you want it, and say Yes to that question,] and don't plug it into that 'old' port again.

This sound like this PC is a Laptop, as desktops don't usually need to unplugg their wireless....

If that is true, then you should also:

Do not plug in the device until the desktop appears. Use the SAME PORT every-time.

Do not UN-plug the device until the after 'shutdown' and the display goes black. ('standby' and 'hibernate' are different and should not be used if you wish to disconnect the adapter.)

This will avoid corrupting the USBSTOR which seems to inevitably happen when the above are not followed.

Tallon41