This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot restore active desktop

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

First off, I'd like to say that as of the time of this post, I've been a member for approx 12 mins. So be gentle, I'm delicate : )
On to the problem..
There was a power failure and when my PC booted back up I had the "restore active desktop" button, while normally I click the button and it resolves the issue, this time it did not. Instead I received a pop-up stating

An error has occured in the script on this page

Line: 65

Char: 1

Error: Object doesn't support this action

Code: 0

URL: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Internet%20Explorer/Desktop.htt

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

YES NO


Nothing happens when I click either button

Also I have noticed that my CPU usage spikes alot during program loads and I am constantly having problems with internet connectivity during the load process(I usually have to open then close, then reopen IE inorder for it to load properly) I'm quite sure these are unrelated, but still a problem I face
Sorry you are having issues. Let's see if we can get this squared away… The first thing I would do is make sure you have administrative privileges. I have seen this issue before and if you do not have admin rights you can have issues restoring your active desktop. The next thing i would try is to set a new wallpaper. Can be the same one you had or you can pick a new one. 1. Right-click anywhere on the Desktop and click Properties 2. In Display Properties change to the Desktop tab, where you will see a monitor image with your wallpaper and the list of images below it 3. Choose any other image in the list than the one currently selected and then click Ok. And the last thing I would try if none of the above works is to disable your active desktop. 1. Open the Control Panel. 2. Open the Display icon. 3. Click the Desktop tab. 4. Click the Customize Desktop button. 5. Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window. If you wish to disable Active Desktop, make sure all checkboxes in this window are un-checked. Please report back your findings… Thanks, Missouri Mobile
Because there was a power failure, there is likely corruption of the file system, and running a CHKDSK is in order. There are several ways to start one. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265 for additional methods.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

Double-click "My Computer" then right-click the hard disk that you want to check, choose -Properties-,
then click the Tools tab.
Under Error-checking, click the [Check Now] button.

A dialog box that showing the Check disk options will be displayed,

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, then
Check the "Automatically fix file system errors" check box, and then click [Start]
(If you wish to also scan the -empty- sectors of your HD, which will take longer and is likely not necessary,
then instead, check the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" check-box, and then click [Start]. )

If this is your boot drive, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some
Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule
the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

Click [Yes] to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Tallon41

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI