This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Graphics Card upgrade, what do i need?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello folks! Trying to figure out what video card I should buy to upgrade my current one for my PC. Here are some of my PCs specs. I used dxdiag to find the graphics card info as well. Dell Dimension E521 AMD Sempron Processor 3400+, MMX 3Dnow, 1.8Ghz 446mb Ram ChipType and Manufacturer: Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC Approx. Total memory: 256MB Is that enough information to determine what I need? If there are other things I need to consider, what are they? Any suggestions for graphics card as well as what specific memory I need to buy too? Please let me know some one. Thank you!
Dell™ Dimension™ E521 Service Manual

There is an open PCI_E x 16 slot. About the highest you can go would be a Nvidia 8600 that does not require a PCI_E 6 pin power lead as your PSU does not have one and your PSU is not powerful enough @ 305 W to handle more of a load.

Here are some examples just using Newegg as a reference:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList….ce%208%20series

The only model requiring the PCI_E 6 pin lead is the 8600 GTS but it does include a molex splitter with a 6 pin adapter. I do not recommend this but if you use such an adapter you need two open dedicated lines to feed the molex plugs. You cannot branch off of other lines without compromising the needed power of the card.

As to RAM try the Crucial scanner:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/



…

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI