Encryption problem cannot access web pages
4 min read
Hey Ralph,
Are you saying that you cannot access HTTP webpages, but CAN access HTTPS sites ?
If 'Yes', then it's possible that port 80 is being blocked by a firewall. Do you have Norton Internet Security or Zone alarm ?
HTTP uses port 80, HTTPS (same basic protocol but secure connection) uses port 443.
open NIS or zone alarm
Turn-off the personal firewall, then try it. It it works, then changes have been made to the settings of the firewall. You can hunt for the change, or just 'reset' them all back to default settings.
Go to Norton Internet Security Tab – settings – personal firewall – click it – configure – click advanced settings – and press [reset]
Since allowing port 80 is the default setting - That will correct it if someone has been playing with it.
Tallon41
Thank you so much for the info. Using both IE and Firefox I tried accessing a site by changing the http to https and It worked for some sites. With IE I got a message that there was a problem with the security certificate for a known trusted site. but could over ride it and bring it up. The computer has the windows firewall turned off and does not have Norton or zone alarm. I do not know NIS, The computer uses AVG virus program.
Again thanks for your time and help. Any other suggestions? Is there any way to manually change the port or certificate info?
Hey Ralph,
Are you saying that you cannot access HTTP webpages, but CAN access HTTPS sites ?
If 'Yes', then it's possible that port 80 is being blocked by a firewall. Do you have Norton Internet Security or Zone alarm ?
HTTP uses port 80, HTTPS (same basic protocol but secure connection) uses port 443.
open NIS or zone alarm
Turn-off the personal firewall, then try it. It it works, then changes have been made to the settings of the firewall. You can hunt for the change, or just 'reset' them all back to default settings.
Go to Norton Internet Security Tab – settings – personal firewall – click it – configure – click advanced settings – and press [reset]
Since allowing port 80 is the default setting - That will correct it if someone has been playing with it.
Tallon41
Thank you so much for the info. Using both IE and Firefox I tried accessing a site by changing the http to https and It worked for some sites. With IE I got a message that there was a problem with the security certificate for a known trusted site. but could over ride it and bring it up. The computer has the windows firewall turned off and does not have Norton or zone alarm. I do not know NIS, The computer uses AVG virus program.
Again thanks for your time and help. Any other suggestions? Is there any way to manually change the port or certificate info?
Yo Tallon41,
I fixed? the problem. I simply used msconfig to disable all the startup programs. The program that was causing the problem I will let somebody else find. It will be good practice for my daughter.
Norton Internet Security.I do not know NIS
Tallon41
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI