Ran Trend Micro Internet Security disk. Never realized that you cannot have any exisiting security software present when you add this. Once the disk ran its course, it asked if I wanted to remove the quarrantined files. I said yes. Ran the update and the laptop went black.
It asks if i want to start in safe mode, normally or last best starting point. click anyone of these and the windows logo flashes briefly and instantly goes to black and then the machine stops operating.
Ordered the startup disk from Toshiba. It is a Toshiba Quomos about 4 years old. Running windows xp media center edition.
I would really like to try and save any files that may still be there. We have a lot of family pictures. I have a 4G memory stick. There are multiple drives but no floppy. This is a mad daddy laptop so it should be able to accommodate whatever is needed to make it right.
:smack:I sure hope a kind soul sees this and helps us.
Cincinnati
You could try System Restore.
1.
Click Start.
2.
Point to All Programs.
3.
Point to Accessories.
4.
Point to System Tools.
5.
Click System Restore.
6.
Follow the instructions on the wizard.
See if you can find a date the the PC worked.
Thank you for replying. A system restore would be a great option and I would try that but the problem I face is the machine stops itself from every allowing windows to show up on the screen.
Start it normally. Hear the Quomos sound. A brief flash of a screen and instantly goes to black and I can hear the computer stopping. Sort of like when youremove the battery.
The screen just before that happening give about four options to start. Safe Mode, Normally, last best time it started. Any of them results in the same shut down.
I have the start up disk from Toshiba. I would run that but I have to try to salvage any files before starting freshly again.
I have a memory stick. I just don't know the proceedure to remove files by the use of a second drive.
I know the proceedure is lenghty. four hours and it involves a floppy.
Other than that I am lost.
Thanks again for replying.